What's new
World Wide Stereo

Pioneer VSX-D811S Bass issues (1 Viewer)

ClaytonMG

Stunt Coordinator
For my front speakers, I have: http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.j...rk_14&oid=60381
and for my center and rears i have JBL small satelites. I have the center and rears set to small, and the fronts are set to large. But the only bass i get is from my subwoofer. My reciever has this thing where I can turn my sub output to PLUS, and that makes all the bass go to the sub instead of the fronts and I do have that turned off. So, any suggestions on what the problem is? The speakers had tons of bass in the store.

Clayton

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

DerrikW

Stunt Coordinator
The plus setting on your sub output does not actually send all of the bass to the sub, it splits it up between the sub and the fronts. The problem with your speakers not having that much bass is the receiver. You can turn the loudness on and that helps a little but, the regular pioneer line of receivers are not that good from the amps side of things. I have the same receiver you have, and when hooked up to my monitor 7's they don't have sh*t for bass, no matter how I have it set. Now on the other hand I hooked up my monitor 7's to a pioneer elite 45tx once because I am still thinking of getting one, they sound like completely different speakers. I couldn't believe the difference. I couldn't get your link to work what are the speaks that you have in the front.

ClaytonMG

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry this took so long to respond.

These are my Speakers. They're Pioneer 3 Way 160 watt floorstanding speakers that have a response of 45Hz - 35kHz. I am still having problems with my bass. I was wondering if adding an equalizer or an amp would work but I hardly know about those things. Any help would be great.

Clayton

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you don't know what the problem is, an EQ will not help you.

Start with the settings on your receiver. With a response of 45Hz, I would set your mains to small, with an 80-100Hz x-over (if adjustable). If you want to run the mains large, then you will need to set it as noted above, with the bass split between the mains and sub (setting only the mains to large).

ClaytonMG

Stunt Coordinator
I have my fronts set to large, it doesn't matter what frequency I set them to because it still wont give them hardly any bass. I tried turning off the sub to see if that would help but it didn't do anything.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK, What is your gear, and how do you have it connected? Receiver, DVD, CD, etc...

How about mains=large, and sub=no? and a CD via stereo analog. If you do not get any more bass with this setup, then this is all your speakers are capable of, or something else is wrong. Have you tried moving the speakers around? 45Hz is low, but not really as low as a decent sub. Maybe you are expecting too much from these speakers.

ClaytonMG

Stunt Coordinator
My DVD is connected with an optical cord. My CD player is connected through analog and that doesn't give me more bass. My front speakers are set to large, then my center and surrounds are set to small. My sub is set to Plus because I get more bass that way, but it's almost all from the sub. I've tried moving the speakers around but it doesn't do anything. I've tested the speakers on my other system and they have tons more bass. If I use the FM radio, I can turn up the bass for my main speakers and that works, but only with the radio. These are the same speakers I am using for the rest of my system. Here
The only difference is that I didn't get the extra speaker because I bought my speakers back in the day. Plus my sub has air flow problems. It sounds like there's too much air coming out of it. I thought it might be bottoming out, but that would mean it was bottoming out whenever there was a little bit of bass.

And I have used the THX Optimizer but I don't have an SPL Meter because I don't have the money and thought it was only for getting you speaker levels the same.

Clayton

PaulDF

Second Unit
Clayton, I have the VSX-850S receiver, basically a 1 year older version of the 811. The PLUS setting sends bass to BOTH the mains and the sub, and I don't think it is selectable unless the fronts are set to large. Not sure where any LFE is sent as I don't use the PLUS.
You might know this, but there is also a bass/treble button on the front panel, (-6 -4 -2 0 +2 +4 +6). Either loudness or midnight mode must be turned on as well. In my opinion, for any decent sound, At least with my current setup.

Also make sure that you have the Low Cut Filter (LFC) turned off, and the Dynamic Range Compression (DRC) turned off. Seems to me these are for DD and DTS, but they should be turned off either way. (what were they thinking??)

This receiver was pretty well reviewed when it first came out, so whatever bass issues it has must not be a problem for most people. I personally use a subwoofer at all times.

I've found that setting my main speakers (which are similar to yours) to small has eased the strain on them, and my amp. Which in turn cleans up the sound.

ClaytonMG

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have the DRC on or the Att (There's no LFC filter on this one). The loudness does help, but it makes it too trebely for my liking. I can't use the Tone setting when playing a DVD or CD.

Clayton

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks