What's new

Pioneer VSX-1014TX-K or Denon AVR-1905 (1 Viewer)

JasonLa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
I can get either one of these for about the same price and I am not sure which one is better. If anyone has anything they can point out to me either major or minor differences that would be great. I am currently comparing the feature lists but it appears that the list on pioneers site is not nearly as long (maybe not as detailed?).

I'm also considering B@W 300 series speakers. I origionally was thinking klipsch until I seen they were way out of my price range. I am hoping to get the reciever and speakers for a 7.1 system for ~$1400. I'm not sure of any other speakers I can get in my area that are of nice quality and in my price range. I'm also hoping that if I get everything in one place I can get a real good deal on it all. I know of one store I can get it all from.

I have an old kenwood pro logic reciever and speakers I am hoping to sell to someone that isn't to particular about sound I'm hoping to get at least $300 for. I checked ebay and seen 1 complete aution for the reciever go for ~$100.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I would say the Pioneer?

Just an FYI:
Go to www.av123.com and you can get some great christmas deals

Complete Rocket HTIB Offer - ONLY 20 SYSTEMS AVAILABLE:

· 4 x RS 150 + RSC 100 MKII
· Kenwood VRS 7100 6.1 Digital Receiver
· Kenwood DVF 8100 Progressive Scan Slimline DVD Player
· $1200.00 + Shipping

ELT Kenwood Bonus Offer

· Purchase any Cherry-Stained Birch ELT System for $999.00 and receive a Kenwood VRS 7100 6.1 Digital Receiver and progressive scan DVD player...FREE
· Upgrade to ELT SE for $300.00 in Rosewood or Piano Black Lacquer.
OR
· Spend a minimum of $500.00 with AV123 and receive a Cherry-Stained Birch ELT system for just $499.00!

Chad

JasonLa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
ChadLB could you provide me with some reasons why you like the pioneer over the denon reciever? The specs on pioneers site were not that detailed and I want to make an informed decision on which one to get.

What features if any does the pioneer offer that the denon lacks or are superior aside from THX?

Matt K P

Agent
about 50-60 watts is what the pio has on the denon. The pio's mcacc is superior to many auto setups including denons. The pio will blow you away, it is just an awesome reciever that has been voted on AVSforum.com the best budget receiver of 2004, i own one and i love it.

JasonLa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
could you link me to that info, did they do a review/comparison?

What about dolby prologic II (I was confused by the specs is it II or IIx?)

James Phung

Second Unit
I think denon also makes you pay $60 for the set up mic. The pioneer comes with the mic and its auto set up is quite accurate. Denon also tends to overrate their wattage. The 1014 is PL IIx.

Matt K P

Agent
i believe you can still pick up the (i believe) sound and vision mag for this month, were they review the pioneer elite vsx 52tx, that is the exact clone of the 1014, minus rs232 and some other not so useful features.

results of the 1014 were
5 channels driven into 8 ohm loads:
.1 % distortion at 115.3 watts :1 % distortion at 129.7 watts

Quoting yung:

Compare those results with the S&V lab results for the Denon mid-fi receivers:
AVR-2805:
5 channels driven (8 ohms) .... 82 W (19.1 dBW)

AVR-3805:
5 channels driven.....................107 W (20 dBW)

so you could expect the 1905 to put out a few less watts than the 2805

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Well right now I have both the Pioneer 54tx and the Denon 2805
in my home. Though I am going to seperates early next year.

A couple things with the Pioneer(including the 1014)
They have been doing the auto calibration thing the longest out of any receivers that I am aware of.
I think the Pioneers have a beefier sound than the denons.

This year is the first year for denon to add the auto cal feature so i would give the nod to the Pioneer.

Have you been able to listen to both on the same speakers in the same room to give you an idea of what your ears like.

I know not the easiest thing to do. You can always find a place with a 30 day return policy ...bring them home and you decide what you like.

Both have PLIIx which helps if you are running 7.1.

I believe all the denons 2805 and below include the setup mic. The 3805 doesn't(make no sense when you spend that kind of money) . I know the 2805 comes with it as I have that one at home.

Chad

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks