What's new

pioneer laserdisc question, CLD-99 or CLD-97? (1 Viewer)

joseph f

Auditioning
I am looking to upgrade my laserdisc player. What would be better, a pioneer elite CLD-99 or a CLD-97 with a AC-3 mod?

I am currently using a pioneer CLD-D505. I do have a Yamaha DDP-1 sound processor that I am using for dolby digital discs. I want to be able to watch DTS discs as well which is one of the reasons for the upgrade. If it matters my TV is a HD 57" Toshiba 57H94. I am also using a Sony STR-DE945 receiver but I am running all video straight to the TV versus through the receiver at this time. I will be getting a better receiver someday but that will have to wait. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
The CLD-D704 is as good as the Elite 99 except for the comb filter, and much cheaper. I've got one 704 and one Mitsubishi clone, M-V7057, and a DDP-1 for each, and am very happy with them.

The 97 is probably better from a composite-video standpoint than either 99 or 704, but really the differences are minimal: to make a real change you'd need a MUSE unit.

So, if you're running S-Video you'd be better off with a 99, and if it's composite the 97 is superior, but the 704 beats both of them in value and comes quite close in performance.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
I wouldn't recommend any American DVD+LD player. The LD player part is basically a CLD-D604, medium-level player, and the DVD part isn't great either. Add the mechanical complications [with two pickups which switch out every time a LD is loaded, they tend to break down faster], and a few other quirks, and they're not a good value. I got the 7057 from Kurtis Bahr [who checked it over completely, mechanical and electronics] for $250, and you should be able to find a 704-type player in good working order in that price range.

greg_t

Screenwriter
Lots of debate still on which is better, the 97 or the 99. Some folks think the 97 is the best, others think it's output is soft and the 99 is better. I agree with Chris' recommendations. You really can't go wrong with either.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Mechanically, or electronically, or both? What's your criterion? A naked evaluation doesn't give much basis for judgement. As I understand, it's mechanically sturdier and has a lower analog noise floor; on the other hand, the comb filter isn't superb, which can be a real consideration, and I don't think it has the adjustable video-noise reduction of the later models [which can actually be useful]. It is a 1993 model after all.

greg_t

Screenwriter

Maybe, then again, I know LD folks who would tell you that the 97 is highly overrated and presents a much softer image than the 99. I haven't seen either so I can't say, but I know many who would say the 99 is better, and some that swear by the 97. Thus the debate. I have a CLD 79 and used it into my Pioneer elite HDTV which has the same 3D comb filter as the HLD-X9, and it presented a great image. I would love to try a 97 on my set. I now have an HLD-X9 and the 79 doesn't compare to it, but I'd still like to see a cld97 after hearing so much about it.

The 97 does not have adjustable NR and is set to ON by default. It can be tweaked by folks like Kurtis Bahr to be set to off. Kurtis also tweaks the frequency response to make the image "sharper". This was done to my HDL-X9 and only really made the image grainer, so I don't think it's a necessarily good tweak.

joseph f

Auditioning
thanks for all the advice on this. I am also a member on the laserdisc database, its a great resource.

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit
Sadly, both the 99 and the 97 exhibit the "CLV smear" problem. If you can get past that though, they're great players. I have a CLD-D704 and 703, they put out a great image on my 43 inch Sony HDTV. Some well-mastered laserdiscs, like the Star Wars Special Edition and Aliens, rival non-anamorphic DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks