FS: Pioneer Elite CLD-52 laserdisc player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rich Strauss, Apr 26, 2002.

1. Rich Strauss

Rich Strauss Stunt Coordinator

Pioneer Elite CLD-52 laserdisc player

$175

This is a decent player, not up to the picture quality of the CLD-79, CLD-97 or CLD-99 Elites, but much cheaper. It doesn't have an AC-3 RF output. It does have optical & coax digital audio outputs & 2 SVideo & 2 composite video outputs.

Cosmetically & functionally it is excellent.

I have the original remote, but no manual or box. I will pack it securely.

I prefer PayPal.

I live in the San Francisco South Bay area. I can arrange delivery/pickup/meeting if you're in the area.

Shipping in the continental U.S. by UPS ground will be $25 extra.

My eBay user id is rich.st. I have 149 positives with no negatives nor neutrals. I am a good trader on this forum.

I just bought an HLD-X9, so I am selling some of my backup players.

Send me an email or post here if you have any questions.

Rich

2. Eric_R_C

Eric_R_C Second Unit

3. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

LD Players work differently than DVD Players, Eric. I suggest checking out Rachael B's Primer here:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...355#post577355
    The short answer is that Optical and Coax only pass the digital (PCM) track, or the DTS track if one exists. An AC3/RF output is the only way to get Dolby Digital sound from an LD player.

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Eric,

As greg said- do some reasearch on Laserdisc- the format is quite a bit different than DVD. The optical or coax digital output read from the Digital audio tracks on the LD-- which means they pass PCM or DTS- as those types of tracks appear on the Digital carriers.

AC-3 or "Dolby Digital" is carried on the analog tracks on laserdisc, so you need a specific output which reads the analog channel and then need a modulation device which turns the analog AC3 signal back into a digital signal which a receiver can recognize.

-Vince