What's new

pioneer elite vsx-41 compared to vsx-d912k (1 Viewer)

Myo K

Stunt Coordinator
which is the better receiver? aside from the auto mcacc feature in the 912k is the vsx 41 superior to the 912k?

these two receivers are the ones im looking at price doesnt metter to me at the moment since they can be bought online for about the same price,

but in regards to quality in sound and build, is the 41 superior? or is the elite name just aesthetics issue since its the lowest elite model?

thanks a lot :)

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The Elite 41 is EXACTLY the same as the Pioneer D811S in terms of functionality and build. The ONLY differences are the gloss black front panel and the tiny LCD on the remote. I would take the 912 over the 41 any day, both because of cost and the new MCACC feature, especially since it has the LCD remote as well.

Hope this helps :)

DanielSmi

Second Unit
I have to agree with Stephen the 41 is the exact same as the 811s except it has the re-eq thing and what he said. If the 912k has re-eq then definitely get the 912. I don't even think the 41 should be considered Elite cause it's not.

Daniel Smith

Myo K

Stunt Coordinator
but why wold pioneer realease the 41 with a suggest retail price of 800 and the 811s with 400 if they were identical? black gloss cant certainly cost 400 dollars more can it? how about thd, and true wattage specs?

id get the 912, but i want to find a store that sells them other then online, i can find the 41 in stores but not 912 :frowning:

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Because they know people will pay for the name. Chances are you would never see an 811S and an Elite 41 in the same show room, so people would rarely see a side by side comparrison of the two.

Pioneer's explination for the extra 10 watts per channel in the Elite 41 are tighter quality control testing, which is pretty much hog-wash, because the components are exactly the same.

The 912 has been on the market less than a month so it's not odd that they haven't shown up in stores yet. I beleive the 812 has shown up at some best buys, so the 912 shouldn't be far behind.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
My local Hi Fi place mainly carries high end stuff but they also do Carry the 812/912 Which they have in.
I don't know why they consider the Elite 41 an elite since they only thing that makes it look like an elite it the black gloss finish else it is the same thing an 811...what where they thinking.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Etronics is a reputable etailer, but may not be an authorized Pioneer dealer. That said, I myself wouldn't worry much about that since Pioneer (NOT Pioneer Elite) has a very lax warranty policy. In one case I was able to convince them to fix a product purchased on ebay w/ no receipt. You could also pick up the extended warranty Etronics offers for $30, making this a fully warranted purchase for $330, which is still a heck of a deal.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Re-EQ

Aspect of home THX processing that slightly attenuates high frequency signals in movie soundtracks when the feature is engaged.

Movie soundtracks are purposely recorded with more high frequency energy than is correct (they are equalized with the amplitude or power of high frequency signals increased slightly). This is done because movie theater acoustics tend to deaden the top-end slightly (due the large number of seats, people and cloth-covered walls). The end result in movie theaters is a proper frequency response due to the slight increase in the soundtrack mixed with a slight decrease due to the environment resulting in a flat frequency response. However, in homes the extra high frequency energy can make movie soundtracks seem overly bright putting too much of an emphasis on high frequencies.

Re-EQ adjusts for the boosted high frequency aspect of movie soundtracks to make them flat in a home environment. Re-EQ is an integral part of home THX processing. It is also implemented by itself in some audio/video processor and digital surround sound processors

Myo K

Stunt Coordinator
anyone else have more info on the elite 41?

how is it known that the 41 and 811 have the same innards? did some open both of them up for comparison?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
They have been opened for comparrison and it has been verrified that they are made on the same assembly line from the same parts. The 41 does have one more optical input as well.

Myo K

Stunt Coordinator
thats a bummer :frowning:

i have another question, how does the pioneer 912k fare in musical playback? the only pioneer receiver ive listened to was the 411k 5.1 receiver, and there was great amounts of distortion. it was horrible for music playback. im wondering if the pionner 912k, will have the same sound as the 411k, since the thd ratings are the same?

should i expect a far better performance from the 912k? im gonna use it to run omniseries mirage speakers, and im wondering if it would be a mismatch in quality the speaker set cost about 1500-2000 while the 912k will cost me 300 bucks.

ive always heard about a golden rule or something,(budget wise) 50 percent speakers 40 percent receiver and 10 percent cables. an in my case that would be along the lines of 80 percent speakers 15 percent receiver.

DanielSmi

Second Unit
Yeah high quality speaker will just bring out the bad qualities of an otherwise low end system. That's why if you buy expensive speakers and hook them up to a KLH receiver it'll sound like crap.

Daniel Smith

Michel^adlp

Auditioning
I'm also thinking of getting the 912, but i haven't yet listened to it. I went to a hi-fi store near me and they said they could order it in for me.. which i might do so i can find out if it's worth it...

I have a full set of Mission speakers(m74, m701, m7c2 and soon-to-arrive ms8 sub) and i'm wondering if these are about right for the 912... basically 'cos for some weird reason, around here, the stores that sell mission don't sell pioneer and vice versa, so i'd have to listen to it on a differrent set of speakers(the sales guy wouldn't shut up about Paradigm.. so i'm assuming i would be using those to test with)
Is this a decent comparion?

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
I've got about $1300 worth of speakers (front, center, back, surrounds and sub) paired with the Pioneer 811S which I bought over a year ago for $400. Music and movies sound fine (as long as I use the Loudness feature with music since I listen at lower volumes) - I never have the volume above -50 for music. I think your mileage may vary. My personal take is that the speakers and their placement in the room make the biggest difference in sound. Of course, if you like to crank it up to ambulance siren decibel levels and/or listen to music with a wide dynamic range (classical) then you may want to spend more on a receiver that can handle the 'extremes' better. I'd recommend seeing if you can buy the 912K and try it out at home and return it within 30 days if you don't like it.

good luck,

--tom

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
I'm just pissed that the 912k is out and I just bought the 811s about 3 or 4 months ago. Welcome to the world of HT I guess.:frowning:

Thomas&CJ

Agent
Just had to take a minute to say how impressed I am with this sight!! I saw this receiver (VSX 41) on ebay and wanted some additional information for a friend so I turned to, you guessed it HTF and got all the necessary information. You guys are just great! been a member just a few weeks and can't begin to tell you how impressed I am with your knowledge, never would have known these receivers were basically the same if I haden't come here, saw the Elite moniker and never would have guessed it was just histrionics. Keep up the great work. Thanks!

Tom j.
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks