What's new

Pioneer Elite VSX-023TXH Multi-zone operation (1 Viewer)

Schofim

Auditioning
Real Name
Fred Schofield
Hi, my name is Fred.

I bought a Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH 7.1 Receiver after reviewing Pioneer's online spec and speaking to two dealers. This is a 3 zone receiver and I was assured verbally that would be able to play home theater in one room while playing separate audio (CD or FM) in two other rooms. As an alternative I would be able to play audio (CD or FM) in all three rooms.

When I brought the receiver home and read the manual I found out for the first time that zones 2 and 3 required separate amplifiers. Also, I noted that the surround sound speaker outputs have posts that accept a banana connector or a wire, and that the zone 2 & 3 outputs instead have an RCA/phono connector.

I'm thinking about trying to take the receiver back to where I bought it, but this may not be the best option if I can't get a suitable replacement. Also, since it was purchased at a discount outlet they may not have a liberal return policy.

Can anyone recommend a course of action using a separate amp? What amps are available on the market to drive two sets of 8 ohm stereo speakers? Is $100, with delivery, possible? Could the amp be located on the floor (rug) behind the HT cabinetry?

Also, I now have what looks like size 12 wire going about 75-100 feet through the attic to the other 2 rooms. However, the output of receiver zones 2 & 3 is via RCA/phono connectors. The RCA connectors I've seen have a small center wire and ground incompatible with my #12 wire. Will the recommended amp take in the RCA input from the receiver and output the amplified audio through a post/banana plug connector that will accept #12 wire? If not, is there another way to make this transition?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Most receivers with zone 2 and/or 3 use the 6th and 7th channel to power a second zone. The other 5 channels are then used for a 5.1 setup in your main room. Not sure how the Pioneer Elite 23 handles this.

If you can't use the surround/back channels to power one of the zones then you would need something like this AudioSource 2-channel amp which can be found for around $100. For two zones you would need two of these amps. There are 4 channel amps which you could use for both zones but they are generelly well over $100 unless you buy used, which isn't a bad idea. You would hook it up to your receiver with RCA type wires. The amp has speaker outputs to connect your 12 g wires from your speakers in the other rooms.

I suppose you could also buy another cheap 5.1 receiver for around $100 and use it to power your zone 2 and 3.

Hope this helped.

WooBah

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug
I have the vsx-23txh, it is a great receiver. You will love it. Also, I have Zone running on my 23txh. The Receiver has enough power to run a zone 2 audio setup and a zone 3 audio setup. I can't speak for video as I have not tried it. I also read the manual and saw that sentence as well. I am not sure what they are referring to, but you do NOT need a separate amplifier for Zone 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks