What's new

Pioneer Elite CLD-99 Player (1 Viewer)

Mark Abrams

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys.... been having trouble with my (little-used) Pioneer Elite CLD-99 LD/CD player. It seems to be having trouble tracking the outermost tracks of CDs... either sticks and pulses on a track or else advances at fast forward to the end. I haven't tested it recently on LDs, so I don't know if the problem exists there as well, but I suspect it is a universal tracking problem... What do you think?
Any input would be most appreciated!

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
The first thing I'd suspect is that the laser lens is dirty. It can get dirty without being used. Smoking and dust are the main enemies. Try an LD. Surely you have one worth the time to watch. Best wishes!
------------------
Rachael, the big disc cat! Remember, actual mileage may vary....
AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 3 to go!

Mark Abrams

Stunt Coordinator
Actually I *did* try a full length DD LaserDisc and it played perfectly to the end.... maybe it's just a small -disc-area-related thing???

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Mark, if you must use it as CD player, I'd take it to the shop and have it's lens cleaned. My pre-1995 LD players all had trouble tracking CDs consistently. It's been my experience that the 1995 players tracked CDs better than the previous incarnations. I have a CLD-59 that I use nearly exclusively as a CD player and has never mistracked. I have a CLD-99 and although I don't play many CDs in it, it's never so much as hickuped. I sold my other CLD-59, a CLD-79, and my CLD-S104, they never mistracked on CDs either. IMO, the 1995 models were the best combi players they ever made in regards to CD playback.
My first LD player (LD-838D) that I got in 1987, started rejecting some discs in '92. All it needed was a lens cleaning to get back in gear. I had a similar occurence with a CLD-52 also.
My bet is that either the lens is dirty or bad. Possibly, the clamp isn't holding CDs tightly enough, maybe? Good luck with it!
------------------
Rachael, the big disc cat! Remember, actual mileage may vary....
AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 3 to go!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
ctually I *did* try a full length DD LaserDisc and it played perfectly to the end.... maybe it's just a small -disc-area-related thing???
Sounds like my CLD-D704. Try to find a shop that is familiar with LD players. My guess is that the drive motor needs replacement. Should cost about $200.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
My CLD-79 does the same thing. Near the end of a CD, it starts pulsing/skipping. Oh well. I don't use it too much for CD's anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks