Pioneer Elite C-36 & "digital progressive"??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jonathan rubin, Jun 15, 2002.

1. jonathan rubin

Just picked up a Pioneer Elite DV-C36 after the salesman recommended it to me. Just looked at the specs & it says it does "digital progressive scan"--is this really progressive scan??

Anybidy have any opinions on this player?
    The other one tha looked good was the Denon 1600--pros/cons of one over the other??

thanks

2. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

It has a line doubler, but it does not do 3/2 pulldown detection. Still it's a great player. I purchased one last year and I'll keep it for a long time.

Best regards,
    ~~Nathan

3. jonathan rubin

thanks-
    what is the disadvantage, if any, of not having pulldown detection?

4. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

It means that the player cannot re-assemble film frames from the interlaced video fileds! This is practically the entire reason for owning a progressive scan player in the first place!
    Quite frankly, even the cheapest JVC progressive scan players (which can be had for less than $200 now) will outperform that Pioneer "Elite" POS!
    And before someone gets on my case for bashing Pioneer, as the proud owner of a DV-37, DVL-909, VSX-39TX and M-10X, I feel it is my duty to piont out that while Pioneer makes some great stuff, the DV-C36 was a damn mean trick for Pioneer to play on Home Theater Buffs. Avoid it at all costs.
    -Lyle J.P.

5. jonathan rubin

thanks all--decided to go with the Denon 1600!!