What's new

Pioneer 444 comments? (1 Viewer)

Mike Woods

Agent
Hi.
I'm thinking of finally ditching the old DVD-Rom that I've got hooked up to my W/S telly and I'm looking at this player which seems to have looks, affordability and compiance with RCE.
Any comments on Video performance or compatability issues that I should be aware of? http://www.codefreedvd.com/dvd_pioneer444.htm
Cheers,
Mike
[Edited last by Mike Woods on October 07, 2001 at 04:04 PM]

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike, the Pioneer DV-444 does not do 3:2 pulldown, so it is not a true progressive-scan player. It essentially has a line doubler built in. One of the US magazines (either Sound and Vision or Home Theater; I'm not home to check) was critical of the video output of the '444 in a recent review. The main criticism was the lack of true progressive-scan output given the price. If progressive-scan output is not important, you might see if the Pioneer DV-440 is available in the UK. It is an interlaced player, but looks to be very similar to the '444 otherwise. It sells for $200 USD.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime
[Edited last by KeithH on October 08, 2001 at 04:22 PM]

Mike Woods

Agent
Thanks for the advice.
Progressive Scan isn't really an issue for me as I'm not looking to upgrade my TV for many years to come and by that time, it'll be time for another DVD player anyway :)
Any more comments on the 444?

Gary Kellerman

Stunt Coordinator
On Pioneers website, the 444 is indicated of having a separate audio and video board in the player. The 440 does not indicate that kind of set-up. Whether this would really add to better performance audio and video wise between the two in the interlaced mode would be hard to say without any reviews or tests between the two players.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks