What's new

Pink Panther Cartoon Collection (1 Viewer)

DougWright

Stunt Coordinator
I was not sure where to put this since it started as a Theatrical cartoon, but since it was the TV cartoon of the Ant and the Aardvark that made me post I decided to put it here.

I bought the 5 disc cartoon collection and then I saw the individual discs coming out. I checked out the first couple and saw I had all the cartoons so I was ignoring the individual discs until I saw disc 5 on sale the other day. It is all the Ant and the Aardvark cartoons.

I went back and checked out disc 3 and 4 of the individual releases and they look to be all in the 5 disc set, but this one is not.

So my question is, am I missing something, why only 4 individual discs? Also are any further cartoons in this line to be released that I should look out for.

Thanks for anyone's help.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
at some point they should put out The Inspector, Texas Toads (although they might put out an alternate soundtrack so they are the Tijuana Toads voices), Mr. Jaws.

Real Name
Mick Hyperion
They seem to be handling the Pink Panther very strangely all the way around. Or maybe they're just trying to give people a lot of choices.

Here's what they've released so far...

- The complete box set on DVD with all of the Pink Panther cartoons in chronological order. Nothing but Pink Panther shorts here (no Inspector, no Ant & Aardvark).

- Season 1 of The Pink Panther Show available only on iTunes, exactly as it aired on television. These are roughly half-hour shows, complete with opening/closing /interstitial sequences unique to the tv show. Each episode includes one of The Inspector shorts.

- Individual single disc volumes of Pink Panther cartoons on DVD, not in the tv show format and in no particular order (as far as I know) with Volume 5 now containing the complete Ant & Aardvark collection. None of these contain any of The Inspector shorts yet.

There's really no rhyme or reason to it. It's kind of schizophrenic. I don't think any other tv show or cartoon series has ever been handled this way, especially with all of these being available at the same time as they are right now.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
This should belong in the main forum, since these are theatrical shorts we're talking about. But never mind that. If you pick up the big Pink Panther collection and the Ant & Aardvark disc (which is highly recommended), you won't be missing anything.

Real Name
Mick Hyperion
Actually they are a combination of theatrical and tv shorts. Many of the Pink Panther shorts have never been shown theatrically and certainly none of the tv show related shorts have ever been (The Inspector, Ant & Aardvark, etc). iTunes is selling strictly the tv show, though some of the PP shorts that made up the tv show were once theatrical releases, but far from all.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Wow, thanks for pointing this out! The Ant & Aardvark are some of my favorite cartoons and I, like you, had just assumed the individual disc releases were just the same as the collected set.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

I definitely enjoyed the Ant and the Aardvark, too...which is why I leapt at the chance to buy this set when it was announced, since I already had bought the Pink Panther Classic Cartoon Collection. Forgot about the Inspector, but I'm guessing that will be released in another volume.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
It has been a while since this subject came up (in the GAC forum). From what I have seen, the first 4 DVDs in the 5 disk PP Box are the same as Vol 1 .. Vol 4. I would suggest looking at Amazon.com site for that. As was mentioned earlier, if one has the 5 disk PP Box AND the newly released "Vol 5" - one has everything. I hope that Vol 6 will come soon with the Inspector.

Art_AD

Stunt Coordinator
More Volumes coming
Pink Panther Classic Cartoon Collection, Vol. 6: Inspector Classic Cartoons

coming 7/24

Now bring on the Blue Racer, The Texas Toads, Roland & Ratfink, Mr Jaw & The Super Six

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
According to the GAC forum, Vol 6 will contain half of the Inspector cartoons. Therefore, hopefully, Vol 7 will bring the rest.
Some details can be found on MoviesUnlimited.com

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
Seems the Inspector DVD is of a higher retail price than the Ant and Aardvark disc. Might this mean we could be getting all 34 Inspector cartoons on 2 discs?

Quite perplexing that with this release being a month away, there's no disc cover art to be found on the Net.

beatlejam

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Otto

I, too, thought it was odd that we still had no cover art so close to release day. Well, I see now that amazon.com now has a January 2008 release date for it! Hmmmm.....someone get the Inspector on this right away!

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit

Why delay this release by six months? Is there a Pink Panther movie or something like that coming out next January, I wonder.

After a tepid first half of this year, I was so looking forward to this release, and it figures that it'd get put off.

Thumbs down, MGM. :frowning:

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

Definitely agreed with you there! Also, can't stand how Amazon's expected release and delivery dates aren't updated with the new expected release date, at least as I'm seeing it under my Order Status page. :angry:

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
Amazon is still the only online seller to have the January, 2008 release date.
All others who do have this disc still listed, still show it as being released on 24 July, '07.

So, is it si, oui, or non for July 24?!

If MGM are deciding to pull the release, might it be due to a very low amount of pre-orders and pre-release reviews? The Ant and Aardvark DVD did seem to receive more attention.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

How can you expect any pre-orders if you're not willing to put out the cover art? Was there any real press releases from MGM/Fox about this collection?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks