What's new

Pink Floyd Pompeii DVD Cover? (1 Viewer)

Sergio Martorel

Second Unit
If I´m not mistaken, the one from HIP-O is a VCD.

There are three versions available at Amazon.com. They all have different ASIN numbers, all three released 21 October. Which is the correct one to buy?
This one: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

Somehow, I´m amazed to find out that this DVD isn´t available in the USA yet.
It´s been available in Brazil since July. And it´s all-region.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Sergio I'm not surprised this DVD isn't already out in the US considering that X2 will be hitting R1 late as well.

It's a conspiracy!

I'm surprised the Indiana Jones boxed set won't be available in the US after all the other regions get it first as well.

Steve_AS

Second Unit
It sounds like the director got a little too frisky with his revisions.

But I imagine an intrepid Floyd fan with DVD recording savvy could assemble something more like the original film, by intercutting the 'original concert' footage with the interview footage.

Steve_AS

Second Unit
I've seen a few clips here and there of them recording Dark Side and I'm glad they incorporated it with this DVD if that's indeed the case.
The original film included such scenes. One showed Roger twiddling with a VCS synth while working on 'On the Run'.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Well the Dark Side footage on the Pompeii DVD is almost a moot point for me now considering the fantastic Dark Side DVD that recently came out. When I wrote that back in April I had no idea about the Dark Side DVD that would be coming out months later.

Then again after doing some research I also came to realize that yes the original Pompeii movie had the Dark Side footage and it wasn't just for the DVD version so yeah, mooty moot moot. But thanks for confirming it, Steve. :D

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three versions available at Amazon.com. They all have different ASIN numbers, all three released 21 October. Which is the correct one to buy?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This one: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...?v=glance&s=dvd
( referring to ASIN: B0000DBJDM )

Why that one?

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
I picked this up at Circuit City today for $12.99. I'm reluctant to open it until I've read a few reviews. The "Director's Cut" sounds like it could be a major debacle and it appears that the original cut is not included. But it's hard to know for sure from the vague packaging description.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I've never seen a version of Pompeii that didn't have the Darkside recording footage. I think the "Director's Cut" is the version most of us know.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The DC is new. It is cropped to widescreen, and has new effects.

The 'Original' 4:3 version is concert-only. As far as I can tell, this 60-minute version was distributed theatrically in Europe, then was replaced by the 80-minute version that was at least shown in North American theaters but probably elsewhere as well.

The version we all 'know and love' from laserdisc, and VHS (4:3 with DSotM interludes but no CGI) does not appear on this disc.

Steve_AS

Second Unit
From what I've read on PF related sites, there's no new performance or interview footage, even though reportedly more was shot, because the director couldn't find his outtakes reels.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Should we now start areview thread or continue here? I had never seen the black and white Paris footage before as apparently all the VHS and Laser Disc versions I had (and the version I saw in college) were the 1973 rerelease with the added DSOTM footage.

I loved the addition of the B&W footage, the 5.1 sound, and the footage of Monserat. I wasn't always pleased with the newly added shots, especially when they were accompanied by sound effects (ie. the train sound in the Underground).

Still, I give this a 4.5 out of 5.

First Monterey Pop, then The Beatles Anthlogy, Led Zeppelin, The Kids Are Alright, The Making of Dark Side of the Moon, and now Pink Floyd at Pompeii. Now Baby Snakes is due out in november and (fingers crossed) Let It Be should come out next February.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
The computer animation footage is horrible. Totally distracting. I've played video games with better animation. The space scenes are lame and feel out of place, but the CGI Pompeii scenes are truly embarassing... especially the lava flow sequence.

Pitiful.

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
Please ignore the Director's Cut !

We are fortunate that the original concert film is included on the DVD. Go directly there - it is in "features".

The Director's Cut pretty much destroys all the virtues of the original terrific film.

One of the best aspects of the original film is that you see each vocal, solo, etc. completely without the distraction of other scenes, and thus it gave you the feel of being there. This was aided by the exclusive use of tracks for the cameras, so any motion was a slow pan, much as if you yourself were walking across the front of the stage.

This is all ruined - in the Director's Cut - by using footage from outer space and the studio.

Plus, some of the footage is simply not in the Director's Cut, like the opening footage of the stage being setup, and the very slow zoom into the stage.

And, to top it off, the "widescreen" aspect of the Director's Cut is simply cropping (so it is not "OAR") - for example, in the great guitar solo in Echoes, the Director's Cut cuts off the left hand on the guitar in many scenes.

So, in short, Pink Floyd fans should buy this for the superb versions of Echoes and Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun, and go straight to the original version in the "Extras".

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Can someone tell me: is the original movie Dolby 2.0, or is there a new 5.1 soundtrack?

thanks

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Both the "concert film" and the "director's cut" with all of the unecessary added crap are in 2.0 stereo encoded in DD at 224 kbps.

The theatrical film "Pink Floyd at Pompeii" in any form that it was previously shown in theaters and/or previously released on laserdisc is nowhere to be seen. the DVD is still a pretty cool artifact of Floyd history, but as film history, it is a catastrophe that treats the original about as kindly as Mt. Vesuvius treated the city of Pompeii.

Everything that was added for the director's cut is pretty much a disaster nearly sufficient to make one consider that George Lucas has shown amazing taste and restraint in revising his films.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.