What's new

Pink Floyd Pompeii DVD Cover? (1 Viewer)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
When is this coming out? Last year I had heard March 2003. Now I'm not hearing anything... If the cover art is out, how much longer can it be for the disc?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The cover is okay, but a little too ethnic for my taste. There are plenty of shots from the film that better convey the content, such as the huge equipment display, reminiscent of the aircraft armorment displays from National Geographic in the 1970s.

I would like a release update. I had hoped to have this already.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Pink Floyd at Pompeii is basically two documentaries in one. About half of it is in the recording studio recording Darkside of the Moon (Dave does a great guitar part for Eclipse that never made it to record or was way buried in the mix). Some of it is them in a canteen (diner) eating and talking. The bulk of it is recorded live at an ancient ampitheater in Pompeii (no audience). The tracklist is:

Echoes Part 1
Carefull With That Axe Eugene
A Saucerful Of Secrets
One Of These Days...
Set The Control For The Heart Of The Sun
Mademoiselle Nobbs
Echoes Part 2

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Pompeii is better IMO than a straight live performance, as the staging really adds to the atmosphere. The studio footage and interviews are priceless.

"You can trust us." - David Gilmour

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Somebody on Usenet mentioned that this artwork is from the 'Mind Over Matter' book and was taken from a previously planned version of the disc which may not be the one that sees light of day.

I am skeptical of a disc coming out by April or May.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
I'm dying here. I need this DVD. Has anyone found a place taking pre-orders. So far, I haven't had any luck checking with the usual suspects.

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
I love Pink Floyd, but havn't seen this! Is it just a concert preformed at Pompei or what?
In my opinion, this is the best rock concert film. Period, full stop.

Part of this is due to the fact that it is one of the best Pink Floyd performances ever, easily better than the studio versions (primarly Meddle and Ummagumma). One of David Gilmour's guitar solos from the first part of the concert is easily one of the top 5 guitar solos ever.

And, until recent high-technology videos, this was the best filmed concert.

The reason for all this is that they took the band, and set them up in an atmospheric, exotic and inspiring locale, and then setup studio-quality recording equipment and - instead of an audience - setup top level movie equipment in front of them, ie tracks for smooth, flawless panning, etc. None of the modern "effects" BS.

The presence of the large crew needed to pull this off, seemed to be enough to give the band the feel of a "live audience" and the performances certainly feel live.

I generally listen to my CD-R of these performances, rather than the usual studio versions.

A 100% must-have for Pink Floyd fans. If it never gets released on DVD, then [heresy on] buy the VHS [heresy off].

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
In a concert DVD, there isn't really any difference between a "commentary" and an "interview".

I can't imagine a concert DVD commentary talking about what was going on at the moment - "Now there's that chord - I told Roger that really should be an A-flat diminished, but he wouldn't hear of it... " ;)

PS I assume that in the Features: "Original Concert Film" must mean the trailer?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I think the concert film is the non directors cut, ie no interviews. I think a commentary is warranted, as it culd talk about the locations, the ideas behind the songs, trivia, instrumentation, recollections of the experience...

While a missed opportunity, especially given the impact of the album they were recording at the time, I'll be happy just having the film on DVD.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
According to Brain Damage online, the Pompeii DVD has been delayed yet again, to June.:frowning:

On the brighter side, the same web site also says that there is yet another Pink Floyd documentary coming out around the same time with footage of Dark Side of the Moon in concert in the early 70s, either 1972 (when Floyd first began playing DSOTM) or 1973 (after the album was released).:D

There is a PF promo video on the web site for the DSOTM SACD which includes some of this concert footage. Amazing!

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
About half of it is in the recording studio recording Darkside of the Moon
I've seen a few clips here and there of them recording Dark Side and I'm glad they incorporated it with this DVD if that's indeed the case.

I'll definitely snatch this up when it comes out!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.