What's new

Pink Floyd Pompeii DVD Cover? (1 Viewer)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
According to Brain Damage online, the Pompeii DVD has been delayed yet again, to June.
Bummer. I've been really jazzed to be getting this. I agree 100% about the use of the location and filming methods. It gives the film and their recording process some supernatural feeling, as if it occured in a different time and place (don't say it did because of Greece in the 70's smartasses ;) ).

Ryan_TD

Stunt Coordinator
anyone know what the aspect ratio is??
pink floyd were always ahead of their time with technology so i was wondering if this might be something other than 1:33:1 full frame........

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
anyone know what the aspect ratio is??
We played this in 1980 as a midnight show and it looked a little cramped matted to 1.85, so I would think 1.37 is the correct ratio.

The sound was magnetic 4-track in a non-standard arrangement: left, right, left rear, right rear, no center channel. I hope the DVD replicates this 4-channel quadraphonic mix - it sounded fantastic.

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
More bad news about the release of this disc. The Brain Damage site now says Live in Pompeii won't be released until September or October!!:angry:

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
The sound was magnetic 4-track in a non-standard arrangement: left, right, left rear, right rear, no center channel. I hope the DVD replicates this 4-channel quadraphonic mix - it sounded fantastic.
Very interesting! I can't believe there's been no word on the most important part... the soundtrack(s)!

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
I used to have this on laserdisc (unfortunately it was
ruined and when I wanted another copy it was OOP) and
it will be GREAT to have this on DVD. Let's hope it
comes out in September or October. Another Pink Floyd
concert that NEEDS the DVD treatment is PULSE. :D

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Some interesting news from Roger Waters Online:

The DVD version of Live at Pompeii The Directors Cut, has had its release moved to 20th October 2003. David Gilmour recently said in Record Collector, "Pompeii is not owned by us, we have no control over it, but it's being turned into a new groovier version. Adrian Maben, the director said he'd find lots of extra footage, but he's lost it! So he's making up footage of ludicrous architechtural designs of what Pompeii might have looked like. Just stick with the original! The new form is not approved by me. There is lots of stuff we'd love to get our hands on, sitting somewhere in a vault. We shot the original in Italy, did cutaway shots and sound mixing in France and then did the extra shooting while we were at Abbey Rd - and the company that originally made it was German. No one has an idea where the fuck it is!

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
too bad they couldnt also add the studio broadcast they did from KQED in San Francisco back at the time (aired nationwide on PBS in 1972) priceless.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Hanging onto my laserdisc!

I'm still interested in the DVD, but if they add extra crap it better be outside of the film itself.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Sure am glad I still have the LD if they are going to f*ck around with one of the best live performance videos ever. If they were going to add in stuff shot at the same time, that would be different, but if they can't find the other stuff, why add new material?

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
I posted this in another thread, but in case it was buried:

U.S. release scheduled for Oct. 21, according to this usually reliable site:

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/

Now let's hope it's simply the original film and not some screwed-up director's cut by a director who lost the extra footage.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The Universal DVD has both the "original concert film" and the new longer Director's Cut.
Yes, but this is NOT the same as what was released on laserdisc. The concert film is just that, the concert footage (and if truly the original is missing a couple of performances), and does not include the interview footage, and the "director's cut" is what was on LD cropped to 1.78 with new stuff added.

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator
From Diabolik DVD:

WWW.DIABOLIKDVD.COM

Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii (Directors Cut) (NTSC All Region)

Pink Floyd filmed playing live in the Pompeii ampitheatre. Includes several tracks from 'Meddle' as well as earlier LPs. PLUS interviews and clips of the band working at Abbey Road studios on what would become their landmark 'Dark Side Of The Moon' release. An incredible performance and a must have DVD for fans of Floyd.

1. Echoes
2. Careful with That Axe Eugene
3. A Saucerful of Secrets
4. Us and Them

5. One of These Days
6. Mademoiselle Nobs
7. Brain Damage
8. Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
9. Echoes

* Import DVD
* NTSC All Region
* Director's Cut
* English Audio
* Original Concert
* Documentary
* Pompeii Map and History
* Lyrics
* Photo Gallery
* Album Graphics
* Odds N' Sods

Price: $23.99

They're selling it now.

Ted Kontos

Stunt Coordinator
Brad,

This is probably the Brazil version, which is available now. I just received my copy yesterday. Just had time to skim it. Initial impressions: Original concert film is excellent, video and audio (considering its budget and original production, of course). Director's Cut: Annoying as can be (cutaways, special effects, etc.). I'll give it a chance, but the first 5 minutes drove me nuts! Reminds me of the hack job on Yes' "Keys to Ascension" video. Sound is DD 2.0 Stereo, sounds quite nice and when played back with PLII, has a nice spatial effect.

Ted

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
I have seen one DVD version from UNIVERSAL, another from HIP-O Records, and the third is PFLIP in a Jewel case to go into the PF CD bins at stores.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.