What's new

Pillarboxing with LED LCD's? (1 Viewer)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I see warnings about minimizing how much non-16:9 content you view on these as I scan various models. Are stuck pixels and uneven aging really that much of an issue, or is this just overly cautious manufacturers protecting their backs?

I predominantly view 4:3 television shows, academy ratio movies, classic videogames, and even many of the widescreen movies I view have some degree of letterboxing to allow for being displayed at their original aspect ratio. What proper 16:9 content that I watch is largely limited to auto racing and modern videogames here and there. So rather than accounting for 5% or less of my viewing, it would be more like 95%.

Would I have a problem?

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
I see warnings about minimizing how much non-16:9 content you view on these as I scan various models. Are stuck pixels and uneven aging really that much of an issue, or is this just overly cautious manufacturers protecting their backs?

I predominantly view 4:3 television shows, academy ratio movies, classic videogames, and even many of the widescreen movies I view have some degree of letterboxing to allow for being displayed at their original aspect ratio. What proper 16:9 content that I watch is largely limited to auto racing and modern videogames here and there. So rather than accounting for 5% or less of my viewing, it would be more like 95%.

Would I have a problem?
Not all so-called LED TVs are the same. Is your LCD television edge lit or full array local dimming?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I don't own one at this time, I was just browsing and got curious about some of the warnings that I read.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Should not be a problem with LCD TVs regardless of light source (LED, CCFL). OLED, though less sensitive to such issues than plasma (especially earlier generation plasma), can suffer from retention issues under some circumstances.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks