What's new

Picture on Sony KDF-50WE655 vs KDF-55WF655 (1 Viewer)

Kevin_Fa

Auditioning
I'm down to these two for a new RPTV. Sitting area is about 11' - 12' back. I've stared at the picture of a lot of DLP and LCD this week and like the picture on these two units the best.

The 55" has the charcoal border which I think offsets the picture a little better. I like the fact that it has 3 components in vs 2 on the 50". The difference in price is $200, so price isn't an issue.

However, the more I look at those two, I think I see that the 50" have a crisper/better picture quality even though, technically, the 55" has a brighter bulb? Anyone else think the 50" has a better picture than the 55"? It's hard to tell at these store with them all set in different conditions.

Thanks

Chad B

Stunt Coordinator
I doubt that the 50" is actually significantly different in maximum light output than the 55". I've calibrated dozens of Sony LCDs (although most have been 60 or 70 inch models), and they have been failry consistent with their light output. Accoring to my color analyzer, their maximum light output is consistently in the 60-85 footlamberts range, which is a pretty tight range.
I think what you see might be caused by one TV being in a different picture mode than the other. If the salesman doesn't mind, borrow the remote and make sure each set is in the same mode (pro is usually the most accurate). If you want to be doubly sure nobody has changed the controls, get to the point in the menu where you can change one of the picture controls (where you can actually slide the control back and forth), then press reset on the remote. That defaults to the factory preset for that mode.
Also keep in mind that even though they might be getting the same picture, one feed might have gone through more splits and cable length than the other.

Kevin_Fa

Auditioning
Thanks Chad for the response. I will go tonight and check out the 55 again compared to the 50. The reset seems like a good place to start, then I can check the modes in both to align up the settings.

I did have them check the connections and the 55 is not connected the same way as the 50 (50 Monster Composite cables, 55 Cheap Composites) so I will see if I can get them to switch it.

Based on what you are saying, a 55 should be able to be as sharp, crisp and clear as the 50.

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor

Have you calibrated this year's GWIV's yet? These, as far as I know, are the first to have the brighter lamps in the WF and XS lines.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
According to the online owner manuals, both the 55WF655 and the 50WE655 have 2 component inputs.

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks