What's new

Picture of my first DIY cable. Thanks Chris W. (1 Viewer)

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
Well here it is. It works too. :) It cost me less than 8 dollars and took about 15 minutes except for the heat shrink which took longer. Probably because of my hair dryer.
Link Removed
Kevin C. :)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Kevin,

A lot of heat shrink requires a heatgun to work properly. Most hairdryers just don't get hot enough. I used a cigarette lighter and it did the trick!

Brian

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
Details I got details.
I purchased the yellow cable at Have Inc. http://www.haveinc.com/
It is Canare L-5CFB RG6 .28 cents a foot.
The connectors I bought at
http://www.markertek.com/
They run about 3 dollars each.
My brother did try a lighter since I was afraid to and it worked real well. I will check in to a heat gun shortly, as a lighter would not be a good permanent solution.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
What? I have a brother now? Strange! I always thought I had a sister! Ya know, with a name like Lisa I just assumed she was a girl! And she's about 9 months pregnant too! Really weird!:)
Brian

Bryan Jones

Auditioning
Kevin:

Did you consider any Belden cable's? How is the performance of the Canare cables? Did you use the Canare crimper?

Thanks

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
Yes I did use the Canare stripper and crimper die. I was unaware of the Belden cables until I read about them yesterday. I read in one thread somebody said they were better but I don't know? I might try them after I run out of Canare.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
If a lighter isn't practical and a heat gun is not around, I've always used a soldering iron.

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
I just tried another cable to use as my digital coax. This time on the heat shrink I dipped it in a pan of very hot but not boiling water and it worked really great it only took about 5 to 7 seconds for each end.
But before I did this I pulled the female end of an RCA connection from an old VCR I had and covered the end of the male RCA plug with it.

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
Okay I have one more pic then I will leave you guys alone. This time I painted the RCA connectors. I am not sure if I like it yet. What do you guys think does it look cheesy?
avcable.jpg

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I would leave the connector ends silver if it was me doing them. Of course, if you like it then do it.

On another note, can you use the Canare crimper and connectors with the Belden cable? I only ask because I am having a heck of a time finding Canare cable here on Vancouver Island but Belden is very available. Plus when I ordered the Canare cable last time I got heavily dinged at the border.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Ricard,

Yes, you can use the Canare connectors and crimp die with Belden cable. Tell me which cable and I can tell you which connectors/crimp die you need.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks