What's new

phono stage (1 Viewer)

Sathyan

Second Unit
My Dad has a substantial LP collection he has not touched since he upgraded his receiver without a built in phono stage.

So, which phono stage around $100 would you recommend?

this is the system:
BSR TT
HK AV receiver
Wharfedale full range speakers
software - about 500 (VG to NM) LPs, mostly classical
cartridge is MM (MC-capability not needed)

I am considering the following phono pres:
Parasound PPH-100
DB Systems DB-8MM
Sumiko Project Phonobox
Music Hall Phono Pack
NAD PP-2

A battery-powered pre is not going to work.

thanks,
Sathyan

Dan Marchewka

Stunt Coordinator
I have the music hall phono pack and it works great. I have no complaints for the price. I am running it on a music hall mmf-5 into a transcendent sound grounded grid tube pre-amp. It sounds wonderful, much better than my music hall cd-25 into the same pre-amp.

Dan

gregD

Second Unit
I've got the Parasound, and have been extremely happy with it... I originally got it based on its low price as a temporary solution, but it performs so well I see no reason to upgrade... all of its musical attributes -- tonality, soundstage, dynamics, quietness -- are impressive... its level output is low compared to other components, but that's rendered irrelevant by everything else.

Dan Marchewka

Stunt Coordinator
One more nice thing about the Music Hall phono pack is that it accepts both MM and MC cartridges--a rare feat for it's price. I have heard the Parasound is very good for it's price as well.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks