What's new

Phono preamp (1 Viewer)

Ken.L

Stunt Coordinator
I just replaced my old Kenwood KA-3700 amp with a Kenwood HTB-206 home theater in a box system. Problem is the new reveiver does not have a phono input because there's no preamp in it. Without having to buy a preamp, can I use the old KA-3700 by hooking the turntable to it and taking the output from the tape rec out to the input on the new receiver? I don't want to blow out my new receiver,so please, someone with expert knowledge of this situation provide guidance. Thanks in advance.

This new system is the first one I bought since the KA-3700. I know many of you were not even born yet when the 3700 came out, it is that old. For a little 25 watt amp, it's held up for, I'm guessing, over 25 years. I'm somewhat disappointed to learn most of today's receiver don't have a phono input/no preamp. I bet there's a lot of old dinosaurs out there like myself who still have the albums they grew up with. I held on to mine because I spent hard earned money to buy them in my younger years when I didn't make a lot of money, so they seem more valuable for that one reason alone.

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator
I had the same issue with a HK520. I bought the Radio Shack phono preamp. It was around $25, available from their online store. It requires a 9v battery. Works fine for me, since I don't pull the records out, only a couple a times a year. Just a thought, if you wanted more rack space and can use the old amp in a bedroom or rec room.

JohnS

Marty Neudel

Stunt Coordinator
Ken,

the tape out taps on your old receiver put out a line level signal which can safely be fed into any line level input.

Marty

Jonty Rees

Stunt Coordinator
I'll second the other replies. There shouldn't be any problem using the tape output, or the separate phono amp alternative can be done cheaply. Of course, I'm sure there are some audiophile phono pre-amps out there for $10k, but if you go to Parts Express or somewhere, they should have a $20-$30 model available. Google it.

Ken.L

Stunt Coordinator
Many thanks for the responses. I now know exactly what my options are and can proceed with confidence.
Ken

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I had a thread just a few weeks ago asking about inexpensive phono preamps. I've actually heard lots of good things about the Radio Shack "Little Rat" preamp, and since it's only $25 I've decided to get one myself...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks