What's new

Phillips SACD1000 for $350 Is it a good buy. (1 Viewer)

TanD

Stunt Coordinator
My local Sound Advice is selling the Phillips SACD1000 for $350, it is a good buy? how's the performance on CD and SACD, can it compare to the Sony 555ES? Any one has any info?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Tan, is that for a new SACD 1000 (sealed box) or an open-box unit? If that's a new unit, $350 is an incredible price. Most dealers are still selling the SACD 1000 for around $1000 new. I have not used this player, but at that price, you should certainly consider it. The 'C555ES is definitely worthy of consideration too, however, as it is an excellent CD player for the money.

Overall, I've read mixed reviews of the Philips player on Audio Asylum and in print. If memory serves, Stereophile rated it a 'B' in its Recommended Components list, while the 'C555ES was rated an 'A'. As with any ratings, take these with a grain of salt. You might want to see if you can pull up the reviews for these players on stereophile.com.

TanD

Stunt Coordinator
that's a brand new unit, as i already have the 555ES, just want to know the performance of it, if it is worth it to get it for a 2nd room.

I did a search but get mix reviews.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Tan, after posting my first reply to you, I read over on Audio Asylum that many stores in the Tweeter chain, which includes Sound Advice, are blowing out remaining new SACD 1000s for $350. That is a great deal. You may want to try out the SACD 1000 at home and see how it compares to the 'C555ES. I imagine Sound Advice has a 30-day money-back guarantee if you are not satisfied. Just make sure that you wouldn't get sucked into a store credit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks