What's new

Philips & LCOS... is this the future? (1 Viewer)

Ryan N

Grip
I have been reading as much info on this subject as possible and I am very excited about the possibilities this technology offers! Philips LCOS HDTV has already won a Best of Innovations award at CES. The set offers zero convergence errors and they claim the color reproduction in perfect. PLUS they say it will be priced to sell- but I don't know what kind of price point we're talking here.

Anyone have anything further on this?

Ryan

KevinFC

Stunt Coordinator
The price is high. The toshiba at CES that I saw looked ok and it was priced at 9k! :angry: And it had a flicker in the green area of the screen. The phillips were stunning but I did not get the chance to see the black levels on it. Plus how well do you really trust phillips products?

Ryan N

Grip
Philips info is hard to come by. Difficult to find any decent reviews on their HDTVs. If they're stressing the affordable price (they say well below plasma), then 9k would be a bit high. I'd like to find out what they will REALLY be going for!

Sean M

Stunt Coordinator
The Philips sets will be less than 9k. Probably a lot less. The Toshiba set uses three 1920x1080 LCOS panels. The Philips designs are currently using a single 1280x720 panel with a rotating prism to scroll the color across the face of the chip. This scrolling of color is said to elimnate the rainbow effect, and is precisely the same effect TI is going for with its SCR color wheel designs. I would expect DLP's to have an advantage in contrast, as well, at least at first. Pricing on these sets should be in the ball park of single chip DLP sets when they are released.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
MSRP:
44" Philips LCOS (44PL9523/17): $3499
44" Philips LCOS w/PixelPlus (44PL9773/17): $3799
55" Philips LCOS (55PL9523/17): $3999
55" Philips LCOS w/Pixel Plus (55PL9773/17) : $4299
A few pictures (sorry, too may people standing too close to take good picts. Lighting also rather high).
Philips sets
Info from Philips:
http://216.24.232.109/lcos.asp

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks