What's new

Philips 563A -Color banding on Component (1 Viewer)

Sorry....that should be PIONEER...Not Philips. After a day of happy use...I have just discovered a problem with my 563. While watching LOTR I noticed color banding. I have the component output hooked up to my component input on my interlaced Sony Wega. The player is set to Component Interlaced in the settings.

I then tried several other discs including The Recruit, Phonebooth and a few more and the color banding is pretty bad. I checked all my connections...everything is secured fine...and it was working great last night.

I tried the composite video and it was fine.

Has anybody else experienced this color banding with the component output on interlaced?

John

Nathan Gillmore

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not too clear on what exactly "color banding" is, can you please explain what you are seeing?

If it is what I think it is, I had the same problem. For me, when I watched stuff like LOTR and such I noticed nothing, but when I put in Video Essentials I noticed something. On the setting where you calibrate brightness with the large white square that takes up half the screen (with black being on the other half) I noticed what looked like a shadowy white halo coming off the white square, going way over into the black.

I ended up fixing it by going into the player's menu and reducing it's own brightness and such all the way down, it seemed to go away after I did this. Then, I just calibrated my tv with VE and everything looks pretty good. I'm not sure if that is color banding or not, just thought I'd throw in my experience.

If I shouldn't have set all of the player's settings all the way down, please let me know. I wasn't clear exactly on how to calibrate it with the tv. The player on has 3 settings: brightness, color (i think that was the second one...), and chroma level.

The color banding I am experiencing is horizontal stripes of color running across the picture...these are red, green or blue in varying widths and shades. One other user told me he had the same problem with an older Pioneer player in interlaced mode via component. My display is one of the first 36" Sony Wegas so I do not have an HDTV to try the component outs using Progressive scan.

OK..just got back from BB and exchanged it for another of the same unit. Hooked it up via component again and still have the banding in interlaced mode. Never had this problem with the Philips 963SA and I was using the identical Signal Component cable.

Hooked up the 563's S-Video and the picture is great, had no banding and really close in resolution to the component picture...same with the composite, but the picture is a bit softer as expected.

I am going to get myself a decent S-Video cable and keep the unit. The fact that it plays redbook CD, CD-R, SACD and DVD-A so nicely is well worth the tradeoff of using the S-Video connection as opposed to the component. It is certainly a bargain at $179 for a Universal Player. I also like having the extra set of good analog outputs so I can run them directly to a dedicated headamp (at the moment my Denon AVR2000 amp)while the 6 channel outouts can run to my 6.1 HT receiver's analog input set.

The onsceen menus are also very easy to navigate and use.

John

PROBLEM SOLVED!

I have solved the problem of the component color banding. It is NOT the Pioneer player at all...it is the component inputs on my Sony Wega 36FV15. :frowning: I have had this set for over 5 years and never had a problem.

Just to make sure, I hooked the Pioneer 563 up to my newer 27" Sony Wega in the bedroom via the component inputs. Beautiful picture without a trace of color banding.

So, if my alarms on this put anyone off buying this terrific bargain universal player...I am sorry..but there must be a faulty circuit in my old Wega's component video section.

Can't afford a new big screen just to get workable component inputs....so I will enjoy the Pioneer 563 via the S-Video connection on it till I finally break down and go for the HDTV :)

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks