What's new

Phantom of the Opera: Ultimate Edition (silent version) COVER ART & final SPECS (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

From dvddrive-in.com:

On September 9, Image Entertainment will be releasing a new Special Edition of the silent Lon Chaney PHANTOM OF THE OPERA. Utilizing the best 35mm print of the 1929 reissue from the George Eastman House and material from the UCLA Film and Television Archive, this stunning video master features a magnificent orchestral score by Carl Davis and a stunning restoration of the Technicolor masked ball sequence! 2-Disc DVD Collector's Set! Includes Two Versions! 1925 Original Feature (110 mins.) with a Score by Jon Mirsalis, 1929 Restored Version (98 mins.) with Two Soundtracks by Carl Davis (stereo) and the Original Theatrical Soundtrack (mono).

Special features:

Audio Commentary by Film Historian Scott MacQueen
Carla Laemmle Remembers: A Video Interview Conducted by David Skal
1925 and 1930 Theatrical Trailers
Faust Opera Extract from the 1929 Tiffany Sound Feature, Midstream
Still Galleries with Deleted and Missing Scenes
9 Bonus Dialogue Sequences from the 1929 Version
Interview with Cinematographer Charles Van Enger

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I love the artwork used. I've always wanted to see the 1925 cut of PHANTOM..., as well as hear the soundtrack from the 1929 reissue. Those are reasons enough to buy this, but add in all of these great extras and this becomes an absolute must have on release day!

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
This is one I'm really getting excited about. I'm glad I held off on buying another edition of this. I'm looking forward to watching the two different versions back-to-back.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

Fantastic. Have never seen the dialogue scenes, either! This disc is gonna' be a real eye-opener for me.

Anybody got any the best online price for this? I'm gonna' pre-order.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I think JANUS films put out the 110min version on VHS years ago (I'm not going to dig through my box of VHS tapes in the basement to find out though:b )

David Brownlow Universal Horror special from TCM (AMC?)
Has this ever come out on video or DVD? I missed it when it aired on CBC Canada have never found it! hopefully it will make it onto one of the Universal Monster discs.

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
This is odd.

Amazon was offering the title for preorder, listing its September 9th release date, but has now updated its order page to say the title is not in production. You can no longer pre-order it, but you can sign up for e-mail notification when the title is again available:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

Is this an Amazon flub, or has there been some delay with the title? DVDEmpire still lists it as arriving on the 9th. Ordinarily, I wouldn't think anything of a late update from Amazon on title availability, but again they were offering the film for pre-order and listing the September 9th release, only to change their order page to its present state. In the event they change it back, ignore this post.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I sure hope that it's just an Amazon error, but they don't usually remove the release date without firm information. In fact there have been titles in the past that I know to have been delayed that Amazon didn't update until after the original release date.

I really want to see this film in a complete version with good transfer. I've only seen this once before and that was a Public Domain VHS copy about 10 years ago.

Tony Scello

Second Unit
I have some gift certificate money at Amazon and I was just about to pre-order this title. As Bill indicates, it is no longer available for pre-order at Amazon (DVDEmpire still has it available for pre-order with a 9/9 release date). I thought that I would pre-order this one on-line since most B&M's have a very spotty record with carrying these types of older movies. Unless they have revised data on this title, let's hope it is available again soon for pre-order.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have this title on pre-order from DVD Empire. They are usually pretty good at notifying me when a pre-ordered item's release date changes. Therefore, if this title has been delayed I would expect an email from DVD Empire within a few days.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Oh man, I sure hope this is still coming out. I looked at the amazon link and it is kinda' strange. :frowning: Could it just be a glitch at amazon?

Patrick, you heard anything?

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
I've just checked their page again, and it's now back to normal -- you can preorder the disc for September 9th. :crazy: I reckon they were seeing if everyone was awake. All looks well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks