What's new

Blu-ray Review Peter Pan: Diamond Edition Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
In anticipation of Tuesday's release, thought you guys might enjoy a gallery of
1950s Live Action Reference photographs from the Walt Disney Studio's Vault.
Click Here

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Ronald Epstein said:
In anticipation of Tuesday's release, thought you guys might enjoy a gallery of 1950s Live Action Reference photographs from the Walt Disney Studio's Vault. Click Here
Great link, thanks. I wonder if any of the models were also voice actors for the film?

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
Johnny Angell said:
In anticipation of Tuesday's release, thought you guys might enjoy a gallery of 1950s Live Action Reference photographs from the Walt Disney Studio's Vault. Click Here
Great link, thanks. I wonder if any of the models were also voice actors for the film?
I'm fairly certain they all are, save for the Peter Pan shots. Because he's so distant, I can't tell if it's Bobby Driscoll (the voice actor) or Roland Dupree (live-action model for the flying sequences). And in Picture 8, I can't tell who the woman sitting on the stool is, but it's definitely not Margaret Kerry, who's Tinker Bell in all the other shots.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Does anybody know if the British blu-ray version came from the same source as the new US release? The British release has been available for some time and I purchased it late last year. For starters It doesn't have the Disney View Art Panels. (which are very effective on other disney classics) The colors on the British blu-ray disc seem to lack intensity and look slightly different to any other version I've previously seen, going way back to the film's initial release in the 1950s So I'm curious to know whether there is any difference in the picture quality between these 2 releases. Doug.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Edwin-S
Limited animation detail? In what way I wonder? The guys and gals that made these films forgot more about animation and backgrounds than any of these new guys will ever know.
Shots of characters in the background from a distance in which their faces lack animation details.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
Shots of characters in the background from a distance in which their faces lack animation details.
The best example I remember from our visit to Disney in October was the journey to Neverland when Peter and the kids "bank" away from the screen toward Big Ben.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Jason_V
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
The best example I remember from our visit to Disney in October was the journey to Neverland when Peter and the kids "bank" away from the screen toward Big Ben.
Correct and they decided to leave that as-is and not animate the faces:
So unfortunately when you scan the original negative at 4K, you see things like there are no faces on those characters [on the scene where the Darling children fly over London with Peter Pan]. That was a decision they made. It saved time, it made it simpler, and it’s really hard to animate faces that small. And probably in 1953 nobody ever saw that, but you guys see it. Now, of course we debated that, should we fix it, are audiences are going to see it, is it a problem? But the reality is that’s the decision they made and we decided to leave it as it is. It seemed a bit presumptuous of us to try to animate faces on what the nine old men had animated, so those are the sort of things we do leave alone.
Taken from: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/327405/prepping-peter-pan-for-blu-ray

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
For what it's worth, I agree with the decision not to animate the faces and to keep them exactly as is. It's a little oddity which is fun to point out and notice...and it's historically accurate.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
SEVERE NICK-PICK ALERT I guess I just can't fathom why, with all the other features either ported from previous DVD's and those produced especially for this release, the theatrical trailers are not included. Every other Blu-ray Platinum edition so far (if I am not mistaken) has included, not just one, but a bevy of original & re-issue trailers. I would have to assume that Disney still has the PETER PAN trailers, as they are almost unsurpassed in preservation of their films and related materials. Why would they leave these off this release? I know, severe nick-picking when everything else is so excellent about this release. But, I cannot label this as a definitive release without those trailers.

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
Dick said:
I guess I just can't fathom why, with all the other features either ported from previous DVD's and those produced especially for this release, the theatrical trailers are not included. Every other Blu-ray Platinum edition so far (if I am not mistaken) has included, not just one, but a bevy of original & re-issue trailers. I would have to assume that Disney still has the PETER PAN trailers, as they are almost unsurpassed in preservation of their films and related materials. Why would they leave these off this release?
From what I've gathered, having the trailers as bonus features depends on whether they were found/used on the DVD and/or laserdisc releases. Every Platinum Edition DVD except for Peter Pan, The Jungle Book and The Lion King included either the original trailer, or the original trailer plus re-release trailers. For most of these releases, they already had them as supplements from the laserdisc sets. It was only for One Hundred and One Dalmatians that they had to search the archives to find trailers (which I'm forever grateful for, as their selection of trailers is possibly the largest set in the Platinums). So far on Blu-Ray, all the Diamond Editions except for Peter Pan and The Lion King include trailers, for the same reasons as before: they were supplements on a past release that got carried over. Strangely, the laserdiscs for The Jungle Book and The Lion King included original trailers. With The Jungle Book being scheduled for spring of next year, maybe they'll see fit to include the trailer, but I'm not holding my breath. Disney prefers dropping extras rather than including them. :( Peter Pan's exclusion of trailers is really the most disappointing, as I've never seen any marketing material for it beyond posters, "The Peter Pan Story," and clips from "The Walt Disney Christmas Show." And I still don't see why Disney hasn't bothered to include that 1951 special on any release. They even showed it at WDW's Magic & Merriment last year, so it still exists in its entirety. And Ethan, I picked up Peter Pan in Digibook at Target.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Albert: What form does the digibook take? It has been called a 32-page "storybook." Is it the abridged story of Peter Pan featuring Disney animation? Or, does it include background on the making of the film (like most digibooks tend to do)? Thanks.

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
Mike Frezon said:
Albert: What form does the digibook take?  It has been called a 32-page "storybook." Is it the abridged story of Peter Pan featuring Disney animation?  Or, does it include background on the making of the film (like most digibooks tend to do)? Thanks.
Hi Mike, Unfortunately, it's just a storybook, similar to Target's digibooks for Cinderella and Brave from last year. The nostalgist in me would have loved if the illustrations were from a Little Golden Book, or even from the "Story & Songs" Disneyland LP. But what's included is pretty nice, and it's printed on thick, glossy paper. My only complaint would have to be the decision to make little Michael's onesie a blue-white tint rather than his trademark pink. They've done it on both the digibook and the regular Blu-Ray covers. Also, if you're interested in getting the film with the Digital Copy + Storybook App, you're out of luck. The digibook holds just the Blu-Ray and DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks