What's new

Peter Gabriel UP Sacd arrived today! (1 Viewer)

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Recieved my copy of PG's Up SACD today from cc.com.

All I can say is it is excellent! The Multi-Channel mix is fantastic. The songs have new life and breathe like no cd can muster.

Wait till you turn up "Growing Up" on your Sacd player. Wow!

This will be the new demo sacd for friends :D

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I was just about to ask when this will come out. I'm almost done collecting the other SACDs (just Passion and Us left). Then I'll get this and blast it to my roommates' and neighbors' ire.

Sweet.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Received mine yesterday. Overall I was quite happy with the multichannel mix after my initial listening session. The mix generally suits the music well, without anything distracting or out of place. After I listen to it some more, I will post some more thoughts.

J

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I have it too, but the music simply hasn't grabbed me yet outside of "Blue Sky"

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Is the entire PG SACD catalog now out? The only ones I've been able to find are "Shaking The Tree", "Passion" & "So".

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Is the entire PG SACD catalog now out? The only ones I've been able to find are "Shaking The Tree", "Passion" & "So".
Yes, the entire catalog is now out on SACD. Other then Up which is multichannel and Hybrid, the rest are only stereo single layer discs in the US (Hybrids overseas).

J

Mark Olson

Auditioning
Does anyone know if there are any plans to release "Secret World Live" on SACD? (I don't think this is currently available...I haven't been able to find it anywhere).

I can't wait to go home and check out the multi-channel version of UP!!

Thanks,
Mark

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I don't even have the CD yet, but you have me interested.

Mark,

I've heard nothing about Secret World Live coming out on SACD.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I spied one copy of the "Up" SACD at Best Buy today, and, of course, they have none now. :D

Wow!! It sounds like a whole new album!! Outstanding mix & sonics.

I got it just in time to get me all pumped up for the PG concert here next Thursday! :emoji_thumbsup:

CarlP

Agent
How about the COMPLETE Plays Live on SACD?
Highlights=pan and scan.

FYI, I paid about $16 each for the hybrids from Amazon.co.uk

A bargain!

Ken_WI

Stunt Coordinator
I will have to look for "Up".

I have already bought "Us" and "So". I like them very much, the sound is significantly improved over the original CD releases, but I have not heard the recent PG remasters, so I can;t say how much of an improvement the SACDs are over the best redbook remasters. Maybe someone who has both can shed some light.

But I do not understand why they released them as 2-CH only. PG himself says multichannel is a better format for his music, so why didn't they do complete 5.1 SACDs? Probably in a year or so they WILL do them in 5.1, so they can squeeze us once again.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
I finally had a chance to catch UP with my listening and give this disc a spin. It is fantastic. Compared to the stereo CD layer, it's night and day, sonically. The stereo mix has been sliced of approx. 6-8db of dynamic range, compared to the m/c, and is a contender in the Loudness Wars.

The 5.1 mix is a wonderful extension of the album, which is comprised of odd shifts in tone, timbre, and dynamics. While I can understand the argument that some may prefer the cohesion of the instruments in two channel, it is severely compromised by the decision to smash the dynamics. There is even audible compression "pumping" in "Growing Up." But hey, it sounds good in the car...;)

The m/c mix, on the other hand, when cranked to reference level, is one of the most striking, riveting, and assaultive experiences I've had in some time. It took my breath away.

As for the compositions - UP has become one of my fave PG works. It's personal and obscure in a fascinating, non-Top 40 kinda way, and I love it for that. This is the type of music I crave to BUY and KEEP as hi-res rather than download as some crappy mp3.

Turn UP the volume and give it a shot.

Oh yeah, a few Best Buys here in South Florida have completely restocked the admitedly small DVD-A/SACD shelf. This was a very pleasant surprise. They had a bunch of good stuff, including all the Peter Gabriel SACDs :)

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Good to hear! I can feel the ear itch for some more hi rez discs to purchase.... Some Peter Gabriel might be in order now :)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Wow--three years later, Felix. You've been "Digging In the Dirt" . . . ;)

Carl I think I'll try the UK Amazon site for the one PG SACD I want yet don't have . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks