What's new

Personally, I think 4K Blu-ray is going to be another bust (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I love my Vudu UHD copies. I own about 20 and they look and sound great. But the actual UHD discs look and sound better to me.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Some of my favorite catalog titles have arrived or will be arriving at a faster rate than on prior formats. Here we are in year two of the format and I really didn't think E.T., for example, would be coming this fast. Looking forward to Blade Runner, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Bram Stroker's Dracula, Bridge Over the River Kwai, Apollo 13, Terminator 2, Harry Potter 1-4, and a few others I need to pick up. Not bad crap. ;)

But they aren't out yet. So I haven't seen them, and they don't count...yet. And I did say "most". Will they be HDRed "properly", or at least well? As I mentioned the other day: I can upscale myself. It isn't true IME that the studios *always* upscale (whatever the resolution) such content on discs better than I can do it here, depends what they're upscaling from etc., and who's minding the store.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
You know that they now have anamorphic DVDs now, right? I have a feeling that you just haven't seen what DVDs look like now.

I collected DVDs until HD DVD came along. I still own about 70 DVDs, many of which are anamorphic. The best of them just look okay.

But you can believe whatever you want to believe. No biggie.

Mark

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I saw Kong in a 2d theater, not in Dolby vision. It looked fantastic.

I've watched Kong on 3d blu ray on a 4k tv and it looked fantastic.

I also watched the Dolby vision uhd digital copy of Kong on vudu. And it blew the other two versions out of the water.

The wide color gamut alone is something to behold. If you don't think there's much of a difference, compare the scene where Tom Hiddleston dons the gas mask and slices the pteradactyls. The blue shading of the blood is amazing, as well as the green smoke. So many shades of green in this film that aren't there in the blu ray versions.

And towards the beginning there are some medium shots of Goodman where you can practically make out individual whiskers in his beard. Medium shots.

I could go on and on, but don't want to sound like a broken record.

But suffice to say, in regards to Kong at least, if you think the 3d is superior ( and I love 3d, whole reason I bought the tv I bought) then you're not watching it on the right tv.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
But they aren't out yet. So I haven't seen them, and they don't count...yet. And I did say "most". Will they be HDRed "properly", or at least well? As I mentioned the other day: I can upscale myself. It isn't true IME that the studios *always* upscale (whatever the resolution) such content on discs better than I can do it here, depends what they're upscaling from etc., and who's minding the store.

Well, they are coming like it or not; my point still remains that we are seeing some damn good titles getting released early on in the format. What's good or bad is up to each viewer though.

35mm films (unless they are finished in 2K) are coming from 4K DIs so no upscaling. As far as those 2K DIs which are most new releases: the UHD BD is notably superior to the BD counterpart in every case I've seen. The H.265 compressioning is superior to AVC which does lead to better detail, less video noise, and better film grain rendition. You are not going to upscale a BD to that level. Impossible - and that's before even getting to the other UHD goodies I mentioned earlier - especially wider color gamut and HDR.

I think you need to actually get some experience watching UHD BDs on a higher quality UHD display that has been properly calibrated instead of taking the negative armchair stance as I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I wouldn't be spending my money on something that wasn't an improvement upon BD.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr

I could say who I would NOT trust in doing a decent upscale job: third or fourth tier movie companies like Mill Creek and VEI.

For the first and second tier movie companies, currently unknown. (ie. The jury is still out).

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I think you need to actually get some experience watching UHD BDs on a higher quality UHD display that has been properly calibrated instead of taking the negative armchair stance as I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I wouldn't be spending my money on something that wasn't an improvement upon BD.

I'm sorry, I hate to keep saying the same thing over and over, but: I have two (2) 4K displays here. One is a Samsung LCD ("LED"), one is an LG OLED. I believe I have watched pretty much every mainstream UHD that's been released (at least, as much as I felt necessary to have a pass/fail rec for promo "quality"). You clearly didn't even read the post very near where you first quoted, where I said that. Still have a 1080p plasma too. Plus other CRT ones, and some smaller LCDs I don't talk about.

Why are you and Crawdaddy saying the things like I'm against the format etc. etc.? I even go out of my way quite often to say I buy and watch all formats. Geez, does everybody have to include a resume of everything else they've ever said in every post?

No: it's you guys who are hell-bent on promoting something that the world at large doesn't care about. I am also an engineer. We always dump on technical stuff because perhaps we're a little more aware of the shortcomings, it's the nature of that biz, and it leads to better stuff. Plus that I said it's the movies I either don't care for, or are "done" with. Not the format.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm sorry, I hate to keep saying the same thing over and over, but: I have two (2) 4K displays here. One is a Samsung LCD ("LED"), one is an LG OLED. I believe I have watched pretty much every mainstream UHD that's been released (at least, as much as I felt necessary to have a pass/fail rec for promo "quality"). You clearly didn't even read the post very near where you first quoted, where I said that. Still have a 1080p plasma too. Plus other CRT ones, and some smaller LCDs I don't talk about.

Why are you and Crawdaddy saying the things like I'm against the format etc. etc.? I even go out of my way quite often to say I buy play and watch all formats. Geez, does everybody have to include a resume of everything else they've ever said in every post?

No: it's you guys who are hell-bent on promoting something that the world at large doesn't care about. I am also an engineer. We always dump on technical stuff because perhaps we're a little more aware of the shortcomings, it's the nature of that biz, and it leads to better stuff.
I'm not promoting anything as people can spend their monies as they please. I offended you so I offer you my apology for doing so and have removed the offending posts.

Last edited:

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

Why are you and Crawdaddy saying the things like I'm against the format etc. etc.? I even go out of my way quite often to say I buy and watch all formats. Geez, does everybody have to include a resume of everything else they've ever said in every post?

No: it's you guys who are hell-bent on promoting something that the world at large doesn't care about. I am also an engineer. We always dump on technical stuff because perhaps we're a little more aware of the shortcomings, it's the nature of that biz, and it leads to better stuff. Plus that I said it's the movies I either don't care for, or are "done" with. Not the format.

I'm not "promoting" anything...just posting my thoughts against your negative attitude and common misconceptions by some that UHD BD is only about resolution.

The world doesn't care about a lot of things, Craig: but enough of the world cares to where the UHD BD format is doing a lot better than some predicted. I recall a number of people just a few short years ago the format would not even launch; then I recall the number of people including the original poster who said the format was a bust. And here we are with more titles, most players, and growing demand seeing a wide array of discs in places like Target, Meyer, and even in some drugstores. Not bad for a little niche format that's supposed to be dead.

Anyway, not going to needlessly argue with you, so enjoy your movies on whichever format you prefer. :)

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
enough of the world cares to where the UHD BD format is doing a lot better than some predicted. I recall a number of people just a few short years ago the format would not even launch; then I recall the number of people including the original poster who said the format was a bust. And here we are with more titles, most players, and growing demand seeing a wide array of discs in places like Target, Meyer, and even in some drugstores. Not bad for a little niche format that's supposed to be dead.

Most outlets (like Target) are paid to display/carry UHD prominently. (Altho my local Target actually cut-down the space given to UHDs recently) And when a format has press releases actually celebrating because a title like GHOST IN THE SHELL got a first week 11% market share (pathetic)...AND that same title (and many others) are being outsold by the 3D editions on Amazon...well, it's not dead but it's certainly a niche of a niche.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Most outlets (like Target) are paid to display/carry UHD prominently. (Altho my local Target actually cut-down the space given to UHDs recently) And when a format has press releases actually celebrating because a title like GHOST IN THE SHELL got a first week 11% market share (pathetic)...AND that same title (and many others) are being outsold by the 3D editions on Amazon...well, it's not dead but it's certainly a niche of a niche.

I see plenty of UHD BDs at my local targets and Meyer stores that are not what I would say in prominent areas necessarily. Can you also provide a source indicating that Target is getting paid to carry UHD BD? I am skeptical of that except for certain titles on the endcap areas; but I'm talking about more in the general title/section area of the shelves where are DVD and BD catalog titles are at.

Also, are you saying the UHD BD of Ghost in the Shell got 11% market share? If so, I would say that is significant for a niche format only in its second full year competing against multiple mature formats. I doubt laser disc ever had a title that came anywhere close to 11% and that was a niche format that lasted several decades at a far higher price compared to UHD BD. Funny how that works.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I saw Kong in a 2d theater, not in Dolby vision. It looked fantastic.

I've watched Kong on 3d blu ray on a 4k tv and it looked fantastic.

I also watched the Dolby vision uhd digital copy of Kong on vudu. And it blew the other two versions out of the water.

The wide color gamut alone is something to behold. If you don't think there's much of a difference, compare the scene where Tom Hiddleston dons the gas mask and slices the pteradactyls. The blue shading of the blood is amazing, as well as the green smoke. So many shades of green in this film that aren't there in the blu ray versions.

And towards the beginning there are some medium shots of Goodman where you can practically make out individual whiskers in his beard. Medium shots.

I could go on and on, but don't want to sound like a broken record.

But suffice to say, in regards to Kong at least, if you think the 3d is superior ( and I love 3d, whole reason I bought the tv I bought) then you're not watching it on the right tv.

The 3D is superior because its 3D on my 4K triluminous screen and not 2D.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks