What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Person of Interest - season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Originally Posted by TravisR /t/315038/person-of-interest-season-1-thread/90#post_3893849
Maybe the machine caught that he intended to kill someone but not that it was a Congressmen? Although I'm not sure that that idea stands up to scrutiny.
The PoI was a 'victim', in that he was to be framed for the Congressman's assassination, and later killed as the 'patsy' to end further investigations. Much as conspiracy theorists would say that Lee Harvey Oswald was the patsy and didn't actually do it.

So the Machine should indeed have caught that the Congressman was a direct target himself as well, whether as a "relevant" case to be given to the Feds, or an "irrelevant" case that got leaked to Finch. Unless the Machine simplified it into the actual PoI only?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The kid this week really weighed things down. Not a good actor, and not an especially well written part. Enjoyed the subplot with Harold's late partner's son poking around about the Machine.
I also enjoyed that he spent the episode putting together new hardware and reinstalling everything after the events of last week. Most shows just assume that the fallout was taken care of between episodes. I like that the events of one episode always bleed into the next on this show.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
That kid was the arrogant little prick on Simon Cowell's new show. Since this probably was filmed a while back and that ended in late December, and he was on it a while, it looks like another case of "contestant who just walked in off the street = bullshit." No wonder they let him act like a jerk, since he was being promoted until America said no.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
The kid bothered me quite a bit, I didn't like their dialog with Reece explaning the process throughtout the episode. Other than that I thought the episode was really good, I love the bits and pieces we get of Harolds background and The Machine knowing it was hacked.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Bad choice on my part, but only so much time available. I decided to go for Unforgettable which is close to the chopping block.
Wish I'd chosen this instead. Read a few bad reviews early on and figured it wouldn't do so well. Wrong.
Hope it shows up in repeats so I can catch up from the 4-5 episodes I watched last fall.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Overall, I enjoyed the episode 'Wolf and Cub'. The kid didn't do a lot for me either way; just okay. I liked that the episode continued to mine its comic book sensibilities by touching upon the nature of heroism. The martial arts aspect of the show in terms of the title, the references to ronin, etc. were okay but were geared towards 'mainstream' recognition so they didn't exactly wow me.
Liked the development of the series in terms of Harold's backstory. Makes me wonder how many more avian references, if any, we will see during the series (Harold Raven?, Harold Crow?, Harold Martin?, Harold Starling?, etc., etc.) Curious to see where the final shot of the episode goes in terms of the Machine and Reese.
- Walter.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I wouldn't worry too much about Unforgettable. It's holding its own and winning its time slot most weeks. I don't think the chopping block is imminent though CBS may move it next season if they get something else for Tuesday night at 10.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
MattH. said:
I wouldn't worry too much about Unforgettable. It's holding its own and winning its time slot most weeks. I don't think the chopping block is imminent though CBS may move it next season if they get something else for Tuesday night at 10.
Thanks for the info. As for the sites I'm looking at, unless it's incredibly awful, it's mainly speculation anyways. Better that I just enjoy what I like and wait for the official word from the networks.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Tonight's episode got a lot done in 4? minutes. Some have written here that they would not stay with the show if they only did the person of the week to save. Why not if it's this well written and entertains and the characters all play off each other so well? Anyway, there are lots of side stories and intrigue going on so I hope most of you are enjoying this as I am. This is the first network show I've made an effort not to miss (other than 24) in many years.
Tonight's episode was good but I am one who hopes it doesn't go too far off the track with fighting the CIA and our evil government. I imagine we'll be in for a bunch of reruns after next week. The Wall Street story should be fun.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I really enjoyed it, too, except for the trite saving of Fusco at the last second (not that I wanted to lose him as a character; I just wish the writers could have dreamed up something else). There were multiple stories at play, and I loved the complexity of it. And slowly getting the backstories of our protagonists is also quite fascinating and most enjoyable.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I really enjoyed it, too, except for the trite saving of Fusco at the last second (not that I wanted to lose him as a character; I just wish the writers could have dreamed up something else).
I would agree, but I think the writers may have at least acknowledged this with Fusco's line "... cutting it kind of close aren't you?" to Reese. I really am enjoying the back stories and how they interweave and Reese's interaction with Carter. Curious to see what Agent Snow does with the information that LOS provided at the end of the episode.
- Walter.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Fusco's probably the most interesting character on the show.
I wouldn't disagree with that statement. Despite the choices his character has made in the past; I have to admit that I felt a wave of empathy for Fusco at the end of the episode.
- Walter.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have to say that I LOVE seeing these shows shot in New York City, seeing many wonderful stage actors even in relatively small roles. Three-time Tony nominee Michael Berresse played LOS last night, and it's always a pleasure seeing him.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
MattH. said:
I have to say that I LOVE seeing these shows shot in New York City, seeing many wonderful stage actors even in relatively small roles. Three-time Tony nominee Michael Berresse played LOS last night, and it's always a pleasure seeing him.
I agree. I love the fact that Person and Unforgettable are filmed in NYC. I hate when shows are filmed on lots and in cities different than they are supposed to be. I really wish the CSI's were filmed in their prospective cities. First you have CSI:NY using too many city street lot sets and they would show a house that looked like it belongs in the suburbs as part of Manhattan or Brooklyn. Then on CSI:Miami they had a scene where you see mountains in the background....no mountains anywhere near Miami.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This show is running like clockwork now. They do a good job of keeping the larger mythological elements, like the Machine and Elias, floating in the background without them ever overwhelming the show. I thought the PoI of the week was one of the better ones, too; there's nothing terribly sympathetic about Wall Street bankers at the moment, but they created one who is sympathetic. At the same time, we got more of a glimpse into Reese's life when he was down and out, and another bird alias for Harold.
So happy this one is a virtual lock for renewal. It's the rare show that's trended up since its pilot.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I agree completely, Adam. The show has evolved into one of the must-see events for me each week. My fears of it becoming just another procedural were groundless as they've walked the tightrope of multiple characters, background story arcs, and case-of-the-week stories masterfully. I especially like the idea of keeping Carter and Fusco from knowing that each is helping them: this has been an especially brilliant touch.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by MattH. /t/315038/person-of-interest-season-1-thread/120#post_3900592
I agree completely, Adam. The show has evolved into one of the must-see events for me each week. My fears of it becoming just another procedural were groundless as they've walked the tightrope of multiple characters, background story arcs, and case-of-the-week stories masterfully. I especially like the idea of keeping Carter and Fusco from knowing that each is helping them: this has been an especially brilliant touch.
Yes, some misgivings expressed earlier in this thread have apparently been for naught.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GAMark
Recent bookmarks