What's new

Perry Mason Complete Set (1 Viewer)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I notice that the complete Perry Mason is Amazon's deal of the week, but there are two listings for it... One is fifty bucks cheaper but it says Unavailable, order now and we will ship when we get it in. Both listings are for Amazon, not third party. Weird. Well I ordered the $150 one. I can wait for a bit to save $50.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Only the cheaper one is actually from Amazon. The more expensive one IS a third party seller that uses Amazon fulfillment services.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Yes, it was $144 (actually $2 a disk, not a dollar...) on Amazon Deal of the Week. But they sold out of them on the first day and it displayed a third party seller who had it for $180. But if you clicked through to the third party sellers, you could find a link to backorder it at the $144 price. That's what I did.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
thanks - that one is no longer there, at the moment

they probably changed back, once they realized it !!

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Rats! Missed this one. :( Oh well, someone will probably have it for sale at Christmastime, so I'll just wait for the next sale. :biggrin:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Was that Arthur Franz as the first Perry Mason? Who's the blonde in those screen tests, she looks very familiar, but I can't recall a name?

I don't think that was Franz.

The first actor playing the role of Perry Mason is Tod Andrews, with some very phony looking grey highlights at his temples...probably because he was only 41 in 1956 when these were filmed...he was a bit player in such movies as Heaven Can Wait, From Hell it Came and In Harm's Way...but his most memorable role in television was as Major Mosby, the Confederate raider known as The Gray Ghost (1958)...
MV5BOWZlNzRhNzctMWJlYy00MDhjLTkyYmYtNmU0YTVhNGI0YjVjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzI5NDcxNzI@._V1_.jpg

51B01s4nHLL._SX350_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

gray_ghost1.jpg

Last edited:

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
THE GRAY GHOST is one I have no memory of ever watching. I see it lasted one season, 1957-58, which was the same season PERRY MASON premiered. Ghost lasted long enough to have a tie-in game, in addition to the comics.

70_l.jpg

perrycomixcover640-4.jpg

0c9261617c3dd439ed0b8a2a10bb84d2.jpg

perry_mason_game2.jpg

I vote no, for the blonde in the Perry Mason tests being Gloria Talbott.

Last edited:

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Does anybody remember what the 26 episodes were that did not initially air in syndication when the series went off the air in 1966? These 26 episodes were added to the rotation in January 1986, although (W)TBS had already aired these every weekend for a year or two before, with missing scenes.

~Ben

PianoPlayer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
Does anybody remember what the 26 episodes were that did not initially air in syndication when the series went off the air in 1966? These 26 episodes were added to the rotation in January 1986, although (W)TBS had already aired these every weekend for a year or two before, with missing scenes.

~Ben
It was more than 26 episodes. Lots of episodes from seasons 7, 8 and 9, including some that have become my favorites (like "The Shifty Shoe-Box" and "The Sleepy Slayer").

It's murky as to why these episodes weren't syndicated in the first place. I've read it was due to expensive guest stars & residuals, but not all of these "lost" episodes had big-name guest stars, so that doesn't quite make sense.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
It was more than 26 episodes. Lots of episodes from seasons 7, 8 and 9, including some that have become my favorites (like "The Shifty Shoe-Box" and "The Sleepy Slayer").

It's murky as to why these episodes weren't syndicated in the first place. I've read it was due to expensive guest stars & residuals, but not all of these "lost" episodes had big-name guest stars, so that doesn't quite make sense.
I also read quite a few of them involved Raymond Burr being absent from filming due to being sick or something.

~Ben

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
https://forums.tcm.com/topic/30464-perry-mason-films-collection/

This link contains some info about the lost episodes, in which said package was billed as "New Perry Mason," which is not to be confused with the short-lived 1970s series starring Monte Markham. Viacom's use of the "New Perry Mason" package name is to distinguish it from the 195 episodes more commonly seen in syndication.

~Ben

PianoPlayer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry
https://forums.tcm.com/topic/30464-perry-mason-films-collection/
This link contains some info about the lost episodes, in which said package was billed as "New Perry Mason," which is not to be confused with the short-lived 1970s series starring Monte Markham. Viacom's use of the "New Perry Mason" package name is to distinguish it from the 195 episodes more commonly seen in syndication.
~Ben

Thanks for that link. So it was 76 (not 26) episodes of the original series that weren't syndicated initially.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks