People with 2, 3, 4 subs - how do you split the signal!?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Kenneth Harden, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

I know at least one of you freaks somewhere on the interner is running EIGHT SVS subs. How do you distribute the signal?

Are you using a bunch of splitters, or do you have a active splitter as so you do not loose a lot of signal strengh?

Thanks!

2. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

When talking of throwing a sub signal from your Receivers or Pre's "single sub out" to ~{8 or more separate self powered subs}~, "might" require a line driver/level booster. Just "depends on" the Receivers or Pre's sub-out/s clean signal power "available".

But for most, running 2-3-4 subs, maybe even more, just using spliters/Y-adaptors and also possibly even feeding both the R&L inputs, (if the plate amps have them), usually works fine.

Of course using (decent quaility Y-adaptors & cables) would be a good idea to "try to keep the introduction of noise to a min". Hopefully no more than if just one sub cable to a single sub was run. More connections, more chances of noise finding a way into the signal.

There are a few different types of Y-adaptors, Hard and Soft. Most use Soft cable Y-adaptors similar to **this**. This Y-adaptor cost 9.95 plus shipping at Surplustronics and is of much higher quaility than the price would indicate.

Both, 1-female to 2-male, or 1-male to 2-female are available.

There are also full length one piece Y-sub cables made by a number of cable manufacuters...

Many different ways of acomplishing the same thing, feeding multipul subwoofers. Y-adaptors, Hard or Soft are most often used I would imagine...

I have 4-DIY subs wired using Y-adaptors and have no noise or lack of signal streangth to drive the subs even when using the Auto On fuction on all 4 of the Plate Amps.

Regards
    Geoff ¥

3. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Thanks!