What's new

--= People w/ 4:3 480p tv sets: did you notice a difference w/ prog dvd player? =-- (1 Viewer)

Jason Blaydes

Stunt Coordinator
ok i've read alot of post and tried to find info and reviews here and there. after much reading i've discovered that since i have a 4:3 tv set, that a progressive dvd player may not be what i need right now. i'm very fanatic about video quality and any time i can improve video quality i want to do it. so instead of just reading what other people have said and trying to interpret it to my application i've decided to ask people with experience in my situation what they thought.
i have a toshiba 55h70 that excepts 480p signal. but it does not do an anamorphic "squeeze."
so anyone in my boat that has upgraded to a progressive dvd player... did you notice a "good" difference in video quality. and which progressive dvd player did/are you using?
thanks for any help and input, peace :)

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I am in the same boat with you, the same tv and have an upgrade bug for a new dvd player. BUT, through some intense shopping and reading, I determined that a progressive scan player would not do me any good unless I upgraded my tv to an HD model. Those 55H70 Tosh are really pretty good.... I keep mine calibrated via video essentials and those who see it say it's the best large tv they've seen.
I intend to upgrade to a HD in the not so near future and that's when I will do the progressive thing. Improvements are always happening and who knows what the standard will be 6 months from now. So I suggest to you, ( if you haven't already) calibrate with Avia or VE. It is well worth it.
------------------
"I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethru gleams that untraveled world whose margin fades forever and forever...."

Brian Treinen

Stunt Coordinator
Hey there! About a year ago I went throught the same thing you are going through now. I've got a TN50X81 Tosh with component input and the ability to display 480p. So, I went and bought a 6200 prog.scan player (mainly because you could toggle back and forth between prog & interlaced via the remote). For about 6 hours over 3 days I looked at every DVD I could think of to test HOW MUCH BETTER progressive would be. I was hugely disappointed. I called my wife in to test if I was just trying to hard to see something, anything - same result. NO improvement - or at least not enough to justify $600 on the player. On some disks some scenes looked better but on others my old player (proscan PS8680z) looked better. And it was VERY subtle. I am now considering the Malata player since it can scale the image and from what I understand basically "force" the squeeze trick on behalf of the TV. The only reason I'm considering this player is because it's cheap and my proscan is slowly dying and it's getting annoying. Otherwise I've decided that I'll live with the TV and interlaced player until there is a critical mass of HDTV out there and then go 16:9.
Hope this helps!

Jason Blaydes

Stunt Coordinator
anyone know about the malata n996 doing an anamorphic squeeze on a 4:3 tv set? i've read that it will, but only from one person. please if anyone knows anything about this malata, let me know. thanks :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks