What's new

Pennies for.... (1 Viewer)

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Does anybody else wish that vending machines would accept pennies?
I know it could be more work for the vendors, but hey it's still currency. Maybe they could put a limit on 5 per transaction. There have been so many times that I have been just 5 cents or less from a pop or a life saving candybar and I only have it in pennies....

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
On my honeymoon in Florida the crappy hotel we stayed at had a buffet so we went and the price for adults was $9.01.

What was the .01 for? we asked, but got a shrug of the shoulders from the hostess as she didn't speak much english.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I love how items are $x.99

Why the .99?? Just make it an even amount.
"Aladdin DVD on sale for $16.99"!

:confused:

Eric_E

Supporting Actor

Psychology. $16.99 SEEMS much less than $17.00, even if it's a neglibible amount in reality.

This is also why all of Wal-Mart's prices end in strange numbers, like $3.84. Because when Target is selling something for $3.99 and Wal-Mart has it for $3.84, people get the idea in their head that Wal-Mart is just cheaper on everything. Though only marginally.

Aaron_Mum

Stunt Coordinator
My friend from Australia told me they don't have pennies there. They just round up or down I guess.

Imagine if people did that in North America, you'd have people writing into newspapers and going on talkshows complaining about how they are getting ripped off!

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i don't even use them. most of the time i leave them either on the register, somewhere in the store, or in the parking lot -- i figure somebody else may have use for them. i used to just throw them away (if it was just a few cents), but my wife convinced me that's stupid. :)

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
Don't give them away or toss them, just put them in a jar and then when you have enough exchange them for the good coins! I have done this forever and I always have $20 -30 saved up a month from this.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member

I think it has been about 15 or 16 years since we got rid of the 1cent and 2cent coins and yes everything is rounded up and down. It's a lot easier without the rubbish coins.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks