What's new

Pearl Harbor Rental Story (1 Viewer)

Robert Wainwright

Stunt Coordinator
So I drag the wife to BB last night to rent PH. I want to watch it before the DC comes out. As usual, none are to be had. So the wife grabs Legally Blonde and Made and off to the counter we go.
At the next cashier is a very irate man on the verge of yelling. And I quote...
"I didn't buy an f'ing big screen tv just to rent a damn thing that only shows half the f'ing picture! What's wrong with this company?! Why don't you offer DVDs with the complete picture." :angry:
Ladies and gentlemen, I have met J6P. The perfect BB customer. I turn to the man (and as much as I tried to contain myself) and laugh right in his face. I knew that there was no reason to even attempt to explain OAR to him. So I continued laughing. At this point a manager (thinking fight might break out) intervened. J6P (now a little befuddled by me) explained his point. Ms. Manager looked at me, I started the rant about Mummy Returns, Grinch, etc., etc. At this point she rolls her eyes, and my wife drags me out of the store.
Only after we leave did my wife point out J6P was returning PH. Damn damn damn damn!

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
that is a funny story. I sued to work at blockbuster video and I would explain to them about the widescreen.. for the post part. I was able to change a few minds about it. They did trust me on my judgement.

JACOB

Robert Wainwright

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know why I go there. It must be some sort of s/m thing. :confused:
Although the line staff has been on my side, management don't really seem to be "movie" people. I can't wait to run into the district manager.:D

Larry Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
This is a perfect example why retailers should demonstrate the difference between P&S and WS to customers who 'just don;t understand'.

Many times, when demonstrating versions of a film presented in P&S and WS, most people I have found are quite surprised. However, this becomes the job of the retailer and knowledgeable one's at that, which are very few and far between.

All the have to do is show the Die Hard Special Edition special feature of Widescreen vs Fullframe. Once they see the difference (which peaks there curiosity), then you can explain the finer points of increased versus decreased in resolution and the other differences.

Then show them a fullscreen version on a WS monitor (illustrating the black bars on the sides) and the same with the film stretched.

I wonder, since he has a WS monitor, how he likes his fullscreen films on the WS monitor?

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Great story Robert. I feel frustrated lately walking into a BB also, especially when I see a new DVD release and they only rent the P&S version.

Keep the faith - I have high hopes OAR will win out in the long run!

Irony, PH comes on two DVD disks. From the above story, It appears the p/o customer had only got the first one. Irony

Robert Wainwright

Stunt Coordinator
Here's the real irony, I work for the hotel division of the company supplying BB with all of the full screen DVDs.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit
I wonder, since he has a WS monitor, how he likes his fullscreen films on the WS monitor?
I think he has a bigscreen 4:3 set, which wastes nearly half the screen when playing 2.35:1 discs. One big reason I got rid of mine in less than a year in favor of a 16x9 unit.

RD

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Robert, that's a great story my friend and I think you handled as good as can be expected, well with being in the presance of such overwhelming stupidity!
I love knowing that the little cry babies have nowhere to turn for their precious P&S version of this film, and would personally like to thank Micheal Bay for having the balls to insist on this.
As a sidenote, among other things, this is one of the reasons I don't go anywhere near a BB. I get upset very easily when it comes to this subject, and if I had to deal with what you dealt with Robert, I would have been in BIG trouble.
So the guy had a bigscreen huh? You should have told him to give it to someone who knows how to use it.

John K Carter

Stunt Coordinator
If the rental places would just put up a poster showing Pan & scan vs. widescreen.
blackhole4.jpg

blackhole2.jpg

then J6P might [PUN]get the whole picture[PUN OFF] :)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
But John K. Carter, then J6P will only come back to say "I don't care about seeing all of that background, it's not necessary when the action is in the center of the screen".

That is their mindset.

Mike boettner

Stunt Coordinator
some people are not so smart! i get the jist of what j6p is, but what does it stand for? i havent bought ALOT of dvd's because they are pan & scam only. pan & scam plain old sucks! and you can quote me on that!!!

p.s. why have surround sound if all the action is the screen? man, these people are sooooooo lame!!!!we should make some re-education camps so they can really SEE the truth!!!OAR

Robert Wainwright

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a gutton for punishment. The problem here is you can't throw a rock with out hitting a BB.

John, I used your pictures from The Black Hole for a new recruit. Great example.

Mike, J6P stands for Joe 6-Pack, you know, the (supposed) average guy.

Brian E

Screenwriter
I kind of like this example. You're not just missing the background, but one of the actors.
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks