What's new

Pearl Harbor, JP3, DD-EX Flag and Audio Dropouts - Who has 'em? (1 Viewer)

David Head

Second Unit
Patrick,

I read that BryanZ had reported audio dropouts with his 1050 and now you've said that your 1050 doesn't have the problem. I thought that it might be Outlaw's decoding software that was compliant with Dolby specs, but might not like the anti-piracy code. I guess you've shot down that theory.

BryanZ is using a Panasonic RV-31, which I'm also using with my Onkyo 696 and I don't have the problem. This just gets more mysterious!

Do you know if Outlaw has replaced the decoding chips in more recent 1050 receivers? I know you have one of the early units and wondered if BryanZ had one from a recent shipment.

David

Magnus Jonsson

Auditioning
Anyone got this problem with Pearl Harbor:that the english subtitle didnt come on at once that i must change it to spanish first,then back to english again to to get it or ist my disc that are defect?

Maybe not the same subject but what the F""k.

Magnus

Patrick R. Sklenar

Second Unit
David,
I know Outlaw made some changes to the 1050 after mine, but I don't think it was anything to do with the EX flag. Of course, I've been wrong before. :)
I can't recall which forum it was one, but I believe I saw one theory that it might be an issue that requires a combination of DVD player & receiver (or pre/pro). My DVD player is certainly an older generation than most of the ones I'm hearing folks report this issue with. I don't know. {shrug}

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Someone in another thread has reported having problems with Anchor Bay's "The Beastmaster," which has Dolby Digital EX.
This could be me. I have the Onkyo 797 and have the dropouts in PH and JP3 DD tracks. The Beastmaster is also dropping out on me. I hope this issue is resolved quickly. The studios need to get their act together and test new stuff like this EX flag and make sure it's bug free before using it.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Well,if there is problem with Denon,then it must be with their DVD players,since my receiver 3801 didn't even hick up on this at all.Yes this was the first DD track that trigered the EX light on,and it stayed on from start to finnish.You should have kept yours Merc!

TomH

Second Unit
Is this the same DD-EX problem that has caused the Outlaw 950 delay? If so, they may be making HW/SW modifications to correct problems introduced by Universal.

Tom

Denny Casnellie

Auditioning
I purchased an ONKYO 595 and have the dropouts. The first two movies I played were PH and JP III and the problem occured on both. It was very anoying and I thought it had to do with my RCA progressive scan DVD player RC6000P and the fact that both of these films were dual layered. After getting no where with RCA I called Onkyo. The tech told me about the known problem with these two movies and told me it was a Dolby problem and that it affected most of their new receivers. I'm curious to find out if anyone with the 696 is having the problem because I've not seen anyone report a problem with that receiver yet and I'm thinking of upgrading mine to a 696 so I don't need to be concerned with this. Unless Onkyo assures us that we'll be taken care of we may be left with this problem and who knows what Dolby will do. I've got about 20 days left to return but I don't want to because other than this problem I am completely satisfied with this receiver.

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
What am I missing?

I have the JP III Collectors Edition and it only has DD5.1 or DTS, no DD EX!

Pete

Marty Neudel

Stunt Coordinator
>I've got about 20 days left to return but I don't want to because other than this problem I am completely satisfied with this receiver.<

Denny,

please be sure to review Roger's notes, including the one where he indicated that there may be many more titles triggering the porblem. If the increased number of disks with dropouts doesn't bother you, then stick with the receiver you like.

Marty

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Has there been any indication that other EX/ES receivers have this problem. I have a Yamaha RX-V1200 and it has DTS-ES and generic DD-EX. However, Yamaha makes their own chips, so I was wondering if anyone with the new Yammies (1200, 2200, 3000) is having problems. I dont have either disk.

MartyV

Auditioning
Both of the movies Pearl Harbor and Jurassic Park 3 is only encoded in 5.1 as I understand it. The anti-piracy information is being placed in the DD-EX flag location instead of the information to indicate that the DVD is DD-EX encoded. This information is not what the hardware is expecting and as such is causing the sound dropout.

Marty.

David Head

Second Unit
Marty,

I believe you are incorrect, since people have stated that their receivers will auto-detect the flag and lock in the EX track. You can read Patrick's post earlier in the thread about this.

David

Lanny M

Agent
Pearl Harbor: Not EX, but has a accidental EX flag on the French soundtrack.

JPIII : Is EX, and has a flag to auto engage....

David Cerfolio

Auditioning
I have the Integra Research RDC-7 processor and have the dropouts on Pearl Harbor and Jurassic Park III. I was pretty spooked at first since this was a new unit for me and I tried those DVDs before any others. I thought the unit was defective.....Integra sez on their website that it is the encoding of the DVD's.....always blame the other guy....

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I played JPIII through my RP-91 and B&K Ref 30 and not a problem in DD or DTS.I sure hope PH doesn't create a problem. I recieved this DVD for Xmas and will watch it tomorrow.I will try and post the results.

Happy Holidays,

Steve

Chip E

Screenwriter
Steve,

No problem here in Dolby Digital with Pearl Harbor on my B&K 307 and Sony S9000ES dvd player (same processor as the Ref 30).

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
I too have an Outlaw 1050 but am using a very old Panasonic A100 (doesn't do DTS). I have no problems with Pearl Harbor.

When I first watched JP3 I noticed near the end of the movie that it was in 6.1 mode. I thought it was strange but still sounded great. Today after using my AVIA setup disk I popped in JP3 again for some testing and I got the dreaded audio drop out. The 1050 was in 5.1 mode this time and wouldn't switch automatically over to 6.1. Once everybody goes to bed I will try switching to 6.1 and see if it will stay in that mode and stop the drop outs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks