What's new

PE 300-794 or Adire AVA250 (1 Viewer)

Wendell

Stunt Coordinator
OK, I got the Tempest and in the process of building the enclosure (214L Adire Alignment). Now I need help in picking the amp. I'm not really sure what the major differences are. I do know that the PE has a 30hz bass boost and The AVA has a 25hz bass boost from what I read. Is the $60 dollar price difference worth it on the AVA250. Also, the amps look very similar are they from the same manufacturer?

I've also seen the Mods for the PE amp to modify the bass boost, should I keep it stock for my particular enclosure design and application? What do you folks recommend?

Should I invest in buying the ports from PE or is PVC piping ok? I'm trying to save some money!

Thanks for the help!

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
The $120 amp (300-794) at parts express has no bass boost. You can solder some resisitors in place to adjust 1-5db of added bass boost.
$60 is a pretty big difference and all you'd be getting is a switch to turn off the crossover for the AVA250. The Parts express 300-794 was now rated at something like a little over 280 watts if I recall correctly. If you want to turn off the crossover you can just max it out so I really don't see any immediate benefits.
Don't forget to visit my 214L adire alignment website for some picture galleries and you can use my parts express link if you decide on it. :emoji_thumbsup:
Unless of course you choose the AVA250 but I think either way you can't go wrong.
PVC pipe would probably work if you can solve how to mount them in the box. I couldn't find the flared ends or mounting parts and didn't want to go through the trouble so I just spent the $20 on dual flared 3" ports. (Which you will cut 1" off the center tube making the center tubes 11" long per Adire Audio).

Jon Torres

Second Unit
MCM also has a 250watt plate amp in the $120-130 range. I believe it has the crossover bypass, but not sure if the bass boost was disabled or not.

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
I would go for either the PE 250 (#300-794 no boost) for $120 or the Stryke Audio AMP350 for $170 if you want a little more power. It does have a 6dB Bass Boost @ 30Hz that can be easily removed.

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
I'm actually about to build the exact same enclosure, and I went with the PE amp for price reasons... Now if only my Tempest would get here :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks