What's new

Adire AVA250 vs. Parts Express #300-794 (1 Viewer)

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
I'm finally ready to order my Tempest materials and I'm just trying to decide which amp to go with. Am I right in thinking the Adire has the rumble filter at 18Hz and a 1 dB boost at 25Hz, while the PE is set for zero boost by default (?) and I’m not sure about the rumble filter.
I can save about 80 bucks (CDN) going with the PE, but if I order the Adire I can get the driver and amp within Canada which will probably save me on shipping. So I just wanted to know the differences, and anything that might help me make a decision. I want to order this week so I can get things started! :D

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
I can't remember the Adire rumble filter specifics, but that sounds about right. PE amp has no boost and filter at 19.5Hz. The PE is relatively easy to mod.

Adire just added a crossover defeat switch to their amp. But turning the knob all the way up is just about as effective. The binding posts on the new PE amps do not accept banana plugs so if you were planning to use the hi-level ins/outs you might care about this.

Otherwise they're pretty much the same guts.

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
Owen, if you are going to use Creative Sound solutions to order within Canada then you may want to know they have a special coming up. Free flat pack kit if I remember correctly. There site seems to be down right now so they may be updating it for when they come back on the 16th. Just something to think about. I only know about the special because I ordered a Shiva over Christmas. They wanted to make sure I did not get surprised by it when it was advertised.

matt.r.w

Auditioning
Hey Owen,
Thought this might be of use to you. I decided to buy the parts express amp. I believe it was on sale at the time for $119 US. Converting that into Canadian then add the taxes at the border, the final price of the amp came in around $280 (sorry I don't have the exact numbers in front of me).

Matt

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
I got mine regular price, free shipping, shipped it to a friend in Florida and he brought it up to me at x-mas. Total after conversion, $234.00 can.

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Thanks guys, that definetely helps. Any experience here is great.

Lee (or anyone) what's a flat pack kit?

AllanRW

Second Unit
A cabinet kit.
All 45 lock miter.
I just finished 2 of these for Bob.Sweet I tell you.
Even with no clamps.Just a little glue push them together and tape the corners.Let dry 2 hrs and finish of your choice.SWEET.
All in time.

Al

Brett Loomis

Stunt Coordinator
Allan.....Any pics of the flat pack kit either during build or finished?

Can you post links to where I might see what box sizes available suited for what drivers?

Thanks

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
OK, I think I'm going to go with the PE. As long as it has a rumble filter I'm cool with it.

Now I need to decide if I should order everything from the same place or not (which means it all gets shipped from the US)... or I could get the tempest from CSS and the amp feom the states, maybe cutting down on my shipping costs.

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Owen,

Last night, I ordered the PE 300-794....but it's on back order (til January 20th I think). It worked out to US$120 plus US$35 for shipping...a total of US$155 before duty, PST (7.5% for BC), GST or the CDN$5 customs fee. I am hoping for no duty....if duty is applicable, I will be really peeved. Creative Sound was in the mix, but the Adire AVA250 was a bit more $$$. And the Stryke AMP350 was more than what I was willing to spend.

The PE amp should match up well with my recently ordered Stryke AV-12. Enclosure design to follow....

Dave

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
thanks everyone. I called CSS today and I think I'm going to order both from them. The amp is a little more expensive, but the shipping is only $15 CDN for amp and $1 for tempest... and they'll ship by the next day. Now all I have to do is place the order.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks