What's new

PCM or Bitstream out for Dolby Atmos? (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Bit confused. Recently purchased a Yamaha VX-581 Dolby Atmos receiver. And also the Samsung 4K player along with the LG OLED 65 E6

I just popped in Jack Reacher and it says to enable bit stream out to enjoy Dolby Atmos. Had it set on PCM

so the three choices I have are

PCM
BITSTREAM UNPROCESSED
BITSTREAM REENCODED FIR DOLBY
BITSTREAM REENCODED FOR DTS

???
HELP:(

Thanks.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Bitstream unprocessed. That means the player will send out the audio signal exactly as it is, and leave it up to your receiver to do all of the decoding.

PCM will decode the 7.1 or 5.1 core only and bypass the Atmos encoding. Bitstream re-encoded for Dolby/DTS will almost certainly do the same thing and give you just the core.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don't have Atmos but I remember having to learn all about bitstream settings when I got my setup a few years ago, and then I remember reading that Atmos has to leave the player as a bitstream later on. So I'm 99.9% that that should get you where you want to be!

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
When Oppo players have their output set to "Auto", then some discs are authored to output as PCM (so you can get any secondary audio) and some are set to output as bitstream. Funny thing is I've found many Atmos discs that are set to output as PCM, even though they don't even have any menu sound effects or secondary audio, so you have to manually set those to bitstream out to get Atmos! Sure would be easier if they did it right.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What Josh said.

Bitstream is what works for me on my media PC. I was previously getting Atmos discs to play as DD 7.1 only. I found I had PCM enabled thinking that was the right choice. When I set the PowerDVD software to be Bitstream, Atmos decoding engaged on the AVR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks