What's new

Paul Newman Box Set - What would you like to see? (1 Viewer)

Just pinched this off DVD Times

Just had it confirmed from a person in a post production company currently working on closed captions for The Young Philadelphians on DVD. This will be included in Warners Paul Newman collection to be released within the year. Also includes Harper, The Drowning Pool and one or two others

Take it with a pinch of salt I guess - but not a bad inclusion with some fine classic actors.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I hope "The Prize" and "Helen Morgan Story" is in the set. "The Outrage" is one I don't think has been mentioned yet.

JohnPM

Second Unit
I hope the rumor concerning "The Young Philadelphians" is true, as this is a terrific Warners melodrama --- even notwithstanding Paul Newman, it has an amazing cast of solid players, some of them up and coming (Robert Vaughn --- who's great) and others in the twilight of their careers (Otto Kruger, Billie Burke, etc.). No doubt Vincent Sherman did a commentary for this disc, and that's all the more reason to suspect that it will be included in the Newman box. Let's hope so, anyway.

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/

Charles H

Screenwriter
THE RACK is a brilliant film written by Rod Serling and Stwart Stern (RACHEL, RACHEL, REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE) that deals with brainwashing and treason during the Korean War. It is Walter Pidgeon's finest hour as Newman's father and in addition to terrific character actors (Pidgeon, Edmond O'Brien, Wendell Corey),it features early performances from Lee Marvin, Robert Blake, Dean Jones, Rod Taylor, and Cloris Leachman). It has never appeared on homevideo.

Corey

Screenwriter
So far it will be:
-The Young Philadelphians
-Somebody Up There Likes Me
-The Drowning Pool
-Harper

For the 5th title, I would like The Helen Morgan Story, The Prize or Until They Sail. Then we still get Cool Hand Luke SE next year.

Warners will coincide the release of a SE Cool Hand Luke with the 40th anniversary next year (I just figured that one out!!)

Harper celebrates its 40th birthday this year. I still haven't worked out why it has taken so long to get it onto DVD. If To Get Rich or Die Tryin' can make it onto DVD before some of our great classics, then there is a problem!! ;)

Seth.H

Agent
Don't ask me why - but I am into Paul Newman at the moment. Not a big fan of his early work, but I certainly hope they don't include The Silver Chalice in the boxset
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
Saw it yesterday and it is a deadset shocker. I am surprised Warners actually released it. However I also saw The Rack on the weekend and the difference in his acting between that and Silver Chalice is incredible.

Not sure how many DVDs they are putting out for Newman, but wouldn't mind seeing The Rack included. Love the part when he comes into the hotel drunk with the hiccups and bugs his sister-in-law while she is asleep :D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think "The Young Philadelphians" will be a part of this boxset with a Vincent Sherman commentary. Which would make it six films in this boxset. However, I haven't heard anything about Warner doing any work on "Cool Hand Luke" which is in dire need of a 2-disc SE. The film is that important of a movie and really defines Newman's film career.

Crawdaddy

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Robert, way back in January, The Bits were among those who reported, following a press event at the Warners studio that 'A Cool Hand Luke: Special Edition (1967) is tentatively being planned for 2007.'

BTW, this is interesting; DVD Classik has news of several Warners box set releases in France come November including a Paul Newman box that could be a pointer for what's heading R1's way - Somebody Up There Likes Me, The Left Handed Gun, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Sweet Bird of Youth, Harper, The MacKintosh Man, The Drowning Pool. Not sure that Warners will include those Tennessee Williams titles in an R1 box (they being in a box of their own), but the rest sounds pretty good.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My problem with this is how can you release a Paul Newman boxset without, arguably his most famous film in which he was the lone big star?

Crawdaddy

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

I certainly hope they don't include those Tennessee Williams titles since they were already released. I'd much rather have another one of his smaller titles but as Robert said, how could they leave out COOL HAND LUKE? If the Special Edition of LUKE isn't done then I'd rather them just hold the set off until it could be included. If that's not possible, I'd still take stuff like THE HELEN MORGAN STORY or THE YOUNG PHILIDELPHIANS over the repeats.

Corey

Screenwriter
they won't put the tennesse titles in this set. but the left handed gun and the mackintosh man sound good, but instead of those 2 tennessee titles the include the prize and the young philadelphians (vincent sherman did commentary about it)!

Jacqui

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacqui
I reckon the box set will look something like this:

Somebody Up There Likes Me
The Young Philadelphians
Harper
The Left Handed Gun
The Drowning Pool
The Mackintosh Man (though would have preferred The Rack but I don't think it will happen)
The Prize (was a box office winner for MGM)

That is seven titles

Region 1 sells Cat on A Hot Tin Roof and Sweet Bird separately as well as in the Tennessee Williams Boxset, so you wouldn't think they would put them out a third time. Whilst disappointed that Cool Hand Luke isn't in the set, I guess Warners would prefer to bring it out for its 40th anniversary next year. (how time flies!) A box set is a good opportunity to bring out the Newman movies people are less familiar with.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
I realize it can't be part of Warner's Box Set since it was a Touchstone release, but I sure would like to see a 2-disc special edition with anamorphic enhancement of "The Color of Money." It is rarely ever mentioned in either Paul Newman or Martin Scorcese discussions, but it is the movie for which Newman finally won an Oscar. I LOVE that movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks