Paul Newman Box Set - What would you like to see?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Lucas Anderson, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Lucas Anderson

Very, very, very happy tonight at the news of a Paul Newman box set. [​IMG] No doubt my favourite actor (I was named after his character, Lucas Jackson in Cool Hand Luke)

Sometimes a Great Notion - Universal
    The Young Philadelphians - Warners
    The Helen Morgan Story - Warners
    The Rack - MGM
    The MackIntosh Man - Warners
    The Left Handed Gun - Warners
    Somebody Up There Likes Me - MGM
    The Prize - MGM (love this movie)
    Somebody Up There Likes Me (MGM)

Seems to be a big year for Newman DVD releases.I would love the above to be included with the releases this year. I am glad Harper and The Drowning Pool are set for release - Lew Harper is one of Newman's signature characters. Not sure what the situation is for releasing movies such as 'Notion' and The Prize which I desperately want on DVD.

Which way will Warner Bros swing?

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Lucas,
    Welcome to the forum. If I was a betting man, I think Warner will be releasing the following titles in this upcoming boxset:
    • Cool Hand Luke 2-Disc SE
    • The Left-Handed Gun
    • Somebody Up There Likes Me
    • Harper
    • The Drowning Pool

Crawdaddy

3. ted:r

ted:r Second Unit

Very happy to see SUTLM, Harper and Left-Handed Gun in that list. With "Sweet Bird Of Youth" also coming out, it will be a banner year for Newman fans.

Hopefully, soon we will see the films of Mr. Newman's better half also. What about a "Newman directs Woodward" box of "Rachel, Rachel", "The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-In-The-Moon Marigolds", "The Shadow Box" and "The Glass Menagerie"? Not to mention "A Big Hand For The Little Lady" (a personal fave) and "Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams".

4. Lucas Anderson

Thanks Robert. Am desperately keeping my fingers crossed for The Prize if that is possible. A lot of people I know love this movie.

Just a question for those in the know, can Warners 'own' movies made by MGM?

5. Steve JD

Steve JD Stunt Coordinator

I know it's supposed to be the pits, but I'd love to see THE SILVER CHALICE...

6. Lucas Anderson

I have it on VCD - and it really is the pits. Apart from Pier Angeli. But if you are a diehard Newman fan, you take the good with the bad.

7. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

I thought Somebody Up There Likes Me was already out ?

Remember W.U.S.A. with Newman and Anthony Perkins ?

I would like to see

1. The Left-Handed Gun + the live TV play version from 1955 starring Newman, included as a supplement.
    2. Harper
    3. The Prize
    4. W.U.S.A.
    5. The Drowning Pool
    6. The Mackintosh Man

The Newman Directs box -- excellent idea.

8. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

No legitimate dvd release in Region 1.

Crawdaddy

9. Lucas Anderson

Like your thinking Richard.

Yes I would love to see the 1955 TV version of Our Town with Newman and Eva Marie Saint.

Somebody Up There Likes Me is available from some dodgey Ebay sellers, it hasn't been formally released by a studio yet. Get on board The Prize though, it is very funny [​IMG]

10. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

The Prize, most definitely!
    The Helen Morgan Story.
    Somebody Up There Likes Me
    Young Philadephians
    Harper
    Drowning Pool
    Until They Sail
    and , although its a Fox title...Rally Round The Flag Boys!

11. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

SOMETIMES A GREAT NOTION is tied up in literary rights issues with the Ken Kesey estate.....SOMEBODY UP THERE LIKES ME was on the first TCM dvd poll, and I remember reading somewhere that the late Robert Wise recorded a commentary for it. (I know that Steve McQueen appears briefly in it, but can anyone confirm George C. Scott's appearance listed in imdb.com?)....I'd love to own in any context the musical version of "Our Town" ("Love and Marriage") directed by Arthur Penn starring Frank Sinatra as the Stage Manager...Both THE RACK and THE PRIZE (Ernest Lehman's follow-up to NORTH BY NORTHWEST) are very under-rated.

12. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

People are mentining Universal and Fox tiles- so it aint gonna be in the Warners box, is it?
    I also would love to have Helen Morgan Story and Silver Chalice.

13. Lucas Anderson

Yes George C Scott had a very small cameo in Somebody Up There Likes Me. It was a blink and you miss it type appearance. He is sitting next to Rocky in the prison van, when Frankie Peppo introduces himself.

I have watched The Prize and The Young Philadelphians that many times, I can almost lip sync both movies :b There was a really brief clip of the Frank Sinatra/Eva Marie Saint/Newman version of Our Town in Paul Newman's DVD biography.

Let's hope Warners is going to release one hell of a Paul Newman collection!! He deserves it.

14. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I would love to see a box set of those films, but Warner only owns a couple of those titles. I would at least like to see Warner release Rachel, Rachel, probably my favorite Newman/Woodward teaming.

As for the Newman boxset, I can't make up my mind on the titles, although I definitely want The left-Handed Gun and Harper in the boxset.

15. walter o

walter o Supporting Actor

YOUNG PHILADEPHIANS is a must, as well as THE PRIZE. UNTIL THEY SAIL and MCKINTOSH MAN as well. It would be amusing to include WHEN TIME RAN OUT in the Newman set!

16. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS!!!

Eagerly hanging on for more details, this is a MUST-BUY for '06!!!

17. Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison Supporting Actor

The Left Handed Gun will be the big prize for me if it's included in the set. Please, Warner!

18. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

What was the name of that political comedy starring Paul Newman that was probably circa late 50's where he is working for the military in some department and is commissioned to fly out for some task and ends up having an affair with this other woman who he gets drunk with and his wife catches them at a hotel? It's been about a decade since I've seen this film so as you can tell from my description, my memory is pretty sketchy. It was sort of a screwball comedy if I remember correctly. I forget all the details but I think Newman's wife in the movie becomes some sort of activist and protests whatever it is that her husband's military division is undertaking and it causes all sorts of internal hijinx. Anyone know what I'm talking about, and whether it's a Warner owned film?

19. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

Its RALLY ROUND THE FLAG BOYS!...a very funny movie made by Fox. I hope they release sometime on DVD.

20. Jacqui

Jacqui Stunt Coordinator

Gee am I glad I found this site!! I didnt think anyone else liked Paul Newman's lesser know movies!!

Nice to meet you all [​IMG]

As for me, I would like the following:

A SE of Hud
    A SE of Cool Hand Luke
    A SE of Nobody's Fool

And the Warner Box set: (in addition to Harper and The Drowning Pool

Pocket Money (I think his character Jim Kane is so dopey that it is very endearing!!)
    The Young Philadelphians
    The Helen Morgan Story
    The Left Handed Gun
    Somebody Up There Likes Me
    Sometimes A Great Notion
    The Prize
    The Rack
    The MackIntosh Man
    Until They Sail
    When Time Ran Out [​IMG] (It is so funny it deserves a release!!)

I havent seen WUSA yet.

Any idea when this box set might be released at all?