What's new

Partitioning strategy? Back-up drives (1 Viewer)

Piers C

Stunt Coordinator
Can anyone offer advice on partitioning strategy for a back-up drive?

I picked up an external drive primarily for system backup for my home computer and storing media (music, photos, etc.). I am wondering: (1) if partitioning is the way to go and (2) if so, how many partitions should I create?

Any help would be appreciated!

BlakeN

Stunt Coordinator
Don't bother partitioning the drive it just takes up more space. There is no advantage to partioning anymore.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
There are *still* advantages to partitioning (as if they ever went away).

The configuration I've always used is to keep the operating system and applications away from my own files. That way, if need be, I can reinstall the OS without having worry about getting my own data saved first. My OS partition is about 5gb which is plenty big enough for Windows XP and the applications I use with enough room to spare for new ones. The rest of my main drive is kept for my own date and split into two further partitions, one for my own 'regular' files and one specifically for MP3s. The only reason I do this is so I can backup *just* my regular files or *just* my MP3s using Ghost.

It really depends on what you what to achieve and how you intend to go about it, but I still say that having one big partition for everything is the least flexible method.

BlakeN

Stunt Coordinator
Yes rob is correct for the resons he states but if this is an external drive used only for backup then you will just be wasting space with an extra partition table.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Very true and the external drives I use (in removable bays) are all single-partition discs.

Piers, this is potentially very large subject so it would help to know how you intend to perform backups.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Yes rob is correct for the resons he states but if this is an external drive used only for backup then you will just be wasting space with an extra partition table
If we talking about a drive of many GBs, then the space that an extra partition table may take may be a moot point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks