What's new

Paradigm under attack?? (1 Viewer)

DonJ

Second Unit
By what I see on forums lately you would think Paradigm is Bose or something. I just read this off a different forum.

"I would get the Energys over the Paradigm. I really don't understand why so many people like Paradigm. I owned a Paradigm before (mini monitors), and have heard the Studio 20 in a store. From all of what I heard with Paradigm speakers, the monitor series sounded too rich in the bass, lacking in the midrange, and the tweeter was harsh. The Studios were just over generous on the bass. To me, Paradigms are totally unmusical. Just play a solo piano recording and you'll see how the Paradigms color the midrange."
IF this isn't flaming I don't know what is. I wonder in the person who wrote this has ever heard a real instrument.

Paradigm owners what do you think?

Kevin T

Screenwriter
not being a paradigm owner....i still think the man is entitled to his opinion so i wouldn't go getting up in arms because he doesn't like your brand. if people are willing to go out and buy what someone recommends but not listen to other alternatives then they deserve to be duped. any sensible consumer would take his statements with a grain of salt.

kevin t

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
I am a Paradigm owner, but I totally agree with Kevin, if this person thinks it's coloured that's his opinion. I like my paradigms. Compare them to a similar B&W speaker and I agree the paradigm seems to have more of a deep presence on the mid-range. Maybe it's coloured maybe it's better. Either way I like it and that's all that matters.

DonJ

Second Unit
Ok I see the point. But that's not the only example it's everywhere and its getting to the point that you would think Paradigm and Bose are the same company. I even see it here on this forum also. Anytime some one mentions the word Paradigm the anti Paradigm crew comes out and starts downing the company.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
John,
Average midrange, harsh highs and over emphasized bass.
Sounds exactly what I said about the Studio 100's a month or so ago. :) To be fair, they were wedged in a room with a huge entertainment center. There was just enough room on either side to get each speaker in there. So the bass and midrange was awful and there was no imaging or center focus.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Everybody has their own opinions. I used to have my Digm's hooked up to a underpowered Harman Kardon receiver and I thought the sound was lifeless and disappointing (from my initial experiences at the dealer).

After hooking them up to my Anthem AVM-20 and MCA-5 combo however, the sound completely opened up and I love the airy, full sound I get without a hint of brightness.

I would wonder what associated equipment that listener had. Don't forget that Paradigm is a very popular brand, so it opens itself up to the love it/hate it syndrome. You ever hear of anyone who doens't have an opinion on the Dallas Cowboys or Notre Dame? Everybody either loves those teams or absolutely hates them. I would think the same would hold true for popular speaker brands.

DonJ

Second Unit
Hey Evan right now my are hook up to a "under power" HK AVR320 even though I have no complaints I been think about up grading to the AVM-20 and PVA-7 amp. Is it really that big of a difference? All comments welcome.

chrisden

Agent
Don,

I always felt that this forum was very friendly towards Paradigm products. There are many loyal Paradigm owners here, but there are always others with differing opinions. I am running Studio 60's off a Marantz SR8200. This combination is excellent and these are easily the best speakers I've ever owned. I've auditioned many brands including Polk, B&W, Wharfedale, Mirage and for the money I thought the Studios were the best.

Although my current set up is excellent, IMO. I can't wait to hear these speakers through a powerful, two-channel amp like Parasound or Rotel.

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
... what John Garcia said...

I would like to read the entire post this fellow put up.

... a grain of salt

BOK

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Don, to be fair, the Digms were only breaking in on the HK so I don't know if I could accurately blame the receiver or the speaker, but with the Anthem it's like night and day. I find the HK sound to be a little too laid back for me and prefer a little more detail, which the Anthem totally brings out without adding any brightness or harshness to the sound. It's not apples and oranges, but it's close.

Nick Cerretti

Stunt Coordinator
I have no idea how you could compare the sound quality of an entry-lvl H/K, and a $3000+ Separates combo.

I imagine you were using reference stuff, considering the price of your pre/pro and amp, so to be fair to the H/K, those bad boys need A LOT OF JUICE, more than any receiver amp could ever produce IMO.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
I'm a Paradigm fanboy. Studio-100(2) Studio-40(2) Studio-CC(1) Studio-20(2) and Servo-15(1). All this powered-up with Rotel RSP-1066 RMB-1095 and RB-1050.
My best friend got a Bose system. He paid twice what I paid for my complete set-up.
Each time he comes to my place, he weeps like a baby :D
It's true that this forum is really Paradigm friendly, and because they are one of the best buy/performance ratio out there, they are talk about a lot.
BTW, I've paid around 5000$ CDN (3300$ US) for all my speakers. And for the performance I got, there is nothing near it, except maybe some internet kits.
When well positionned, the Studio-100 are producing a HUGE soundstage, and unbelievable imaging. Bass is really good even w/o the Servo-15.
Each year, after 1 year of total abusem, I bring back my Paradigms to my dealer, and I can upgrade them with a 100% credit for speakers and stands. That's incredible customer service. My dealer just promise a full credit on my Studio-100 v2 to trade them for the Signature serie. I will be the first buyer on the list:D
Just read all the good reviews out there. And please, stop comparing my "beloved" paradigms to Bose... Please...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sounds exactly what I said about the Studio 100's a month or so ago.
I don't totally disagree with you Brian, but again, gear/placement/room effect etc... Studios seem to be the most sensitive of their lines. (I also know you have a different perspective than most with respect to speakers :) ) I have heard less expensive speakers that easily compete with the Studios. With half a mind, a decent pocketbook, and a market in which I could get a decent price for my gear, I think you know which speakers would be in my main systemm, Brian :D
I have been a fan of Paradigm for many years, but I am not foolish enough to think that they are the greatest speakers out there. All speakers are a compromise of one type or another, and I happen to like the way mine sound in my setup for what I paid. They are an acceptable compromise for both HT and music. I have auditioned other speakers in my setup, and I readily admit that a few sounded quite a bit better. I have heard better speakers without question, but these satisfy my needs right now. Will I eventually upgrade? Yes. Will it be to Studios? Probably not. Nor will it be to Energy or Klipsch.
A large percentage of what this also comes down to is simple: taste. Everyone hears differently, and likes what they like. There's nothing wrong with that.

I chose the B&W 602 S3s over the studio 40s they sounded the same to me. There was also the cost to consider...This is not my final setup. I'll upgrade in a year. Anyway's I have a Servo-15. I love it. Bose and Paradigm are not even in the same league.

Anyone that makes such a comparision is smoking something!

MK

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
This is really more of a statement as to how different we all hear things, AND what we prefer to hear. Studio series is WAY better than the monitor series, yet I dont think B&W's 600 series is really all that impressive, in comparison to even the monitor series. Personally, I liked the Paradigms, but MAYBE it's because I have a pair now, so that's what I'm used to. The only other brand that impressed me at a similar price to the mini-monitors were JM Labs. Very different, yet still equally excellent.
One thing I notice, though, is that there is this huge "audiophile" rush to find the diamond in the rough. Yes, there is a LOT of crap out there, yet everyone seems to be searching for that little company in god knows where, that only ships a few units, and if they are great for the price, the whole idea that you found them, and most haven't heard of them makes them "THE BEST" ever for the price. Personally, you couldn't build a better DIY for $200 as the Paradigm titans, or find a specialty speaker anywhere near as good for that price. It's almost as if, a great brand, that builds itself up on very excellent products at low prices, loses its prestige as it gets bigger, even if it still carries the same value. Somehow, a speaker of equal price and sound that's from some guy's basement becomes SOOO much better. Doesn't make too much sense to me.
But you know what? We all like different things, and we really should all be happy that we know enough to bust on bose. I make sure that everyone I know knows that they should talk to me first before buying speakers, as if I'm acting for the public good. Luckily, we have about 5 stores within a one-block stretch, that have some VERY nice brands. The recommendation is always to spend a day, and go to all 5 stores, and pick what's best. So far, at an entry level price, I've had a few friends walk out totally blown away, with a brand new pair of Paradigms. Up until you go beyond the Studio 20s, there's nothing that will beat them for value. It's the look on the faces of friends who come over to listen to bargain speakers, after spending years listening to their crappy KLHs, that really makes it all worth it. :) And for those Bose cultists..... I have a pair of Bose sitting in my closet, for a direct comparison. I do a blind test, and bar none, they pick the better sounding speaker every time, and think it's the bose. Surprise!! Those are just atoms. Let me hook up the minis for you too :D

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
John,

For clarification, the receiver and DVD player were both Pioneer Elite. And yes, I cannot imagine the room being set up any worse than it was already.

DonJ

Second Unit
Let me make this clear. I wasnt comparing Paradigm to Bose I was smiply stating that Paradigm has been undully attacked like Bose lately on these forums. I own a full set of Paradigms myself.
Monitor 9'
CC370
Mini monitors
PS1000 sub being upgraded to a PW2200 next month.
I just don't like the way people go on about the brand. They are one of the most informative audio comapanies out there. They show the specs of each speaker and don't try to hide anything.

Nick Cerretti

Stunt Coordinator
Don, anything popular (and for that matter, anything good) gets trashed on internet forums. It's just how it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks