What's new

Paradigm dealers in New England? (1 Viewer)

DeanAB

Auditioning
Anyone know of dealers in New England who stock Paradigm speakers?

(actually, I'm in Boston, but southern New Hampshire/Maine would be just fine)

I'm having a hard time finding anyone who actually sells them locally.

I'm building a whole new kit and am looking at Onkyo SR600, Paradigm Atoms in front, CC-170 center, ADP-170 rears, and PDR-10 sub. Anyone running this gear that would like to comment on what they think about this setup?

Thanks,

Dean.

Zbigniew

Stunt Coordinator
I am afraid you are too close to Canada. As a result, all local Paradigm dealers are out of bussiness :). :D
Seriously, consider trip north - you will get 30-40% discount from US list prices (List in loonies is like list in greenbucks...).
_zjt

DeanAB

Auditioning
Sure, but I was thinking maybe something closer so I can at least audition them first before I made my final decision.

Then maybe a weekend in Montreal to pick them up? As good an excuse as any for a short vacation I guess! Certainly help with the WAF anyway. Know any good dealers across the border then?

Barry BB

Stunt Coordinator
Dean

Just use the dealer locator on PAradigm's web site to find all the dealers in your desired states. There are not too many dealers in Massachusetts. I bought my Paradigm set up at Q Audio in Cambridge. They are on Vassar street, it is in the MIT area off of Mass Ave. It took some doing but I was able to get a 15% discount from them. Obviously not as good as 30% to 40% if I went to Canada but I figured that gas, toll, and hotel expense would eat up some of my savings anyhow.

Another couple of places that carried Paradigm at the time that I was looking are Ensemble on Mass Ave in Arlington and MHL Security in Randolph.

As for what you are looking at I can only comment on the Atoms. I use them for my surrounds and they are a nice speaker for the money. But if you can swing the extra money I would look at the Mini Monitors for mains. But if you go with Mini Monitors then you'd also have to upgrade your center channel.

The Studio series are superb but then we are of course talking about more bucks.

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Just head over to the Paradigm website ... www.paradigm.com and do the dealer search.
Ensemble in Nashua is a dealer if you like paying tax free ;>). But they are mainly a higher end shop (and carry the Reference line, and the Monitors too) and may not handle the Atom line. But they very well may. Worth it to check though.
Good Luck,
BOK

Dave_P

Stunt Coordinator
Ensemble, in Nashua, only carries the monitor and reference line for Paradigm. I bought my monitors there a couple of years back. They do have nice salesman there that will let you sit and listen to equipment. I'd go during the week. It gets too busy around that part of Nashua on the weekends.

Charles M Berry

Stunt Coordinator
If you wanted to head all the way up to southern Maine, you could stop at New England Hi-Fi in Scarborough (near Portland/South Portland). This is a great audio shop, probably the best in Maine. I picked up 2 pair of Titans, a cc170, and a pdr10 here. Great service, very nice guys, even to a punk like me!

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
I bought my Paradigm PDR-8 at Ensemble. They were really nice...but it is hard to tell who works there and who is just hanging out for the afternoon :) very casual environment. I'm not sure what they carry but they did have Atoms there when I was there. They were part of the theater in which I demoed the PDR-8.
There is also Q Audio on Vassar Street in Cambridge.
cheers,
--tom

Patrick R. Sklenar

Second Unit
The Audio Store in Newington CT carries the Pardigm line.
Probably just under 2 hours from Boston.
Take the Mass Pike (I-90) west to Sturbridge. Take I-84 West down into CT. Just before Hartford, take CT Rt 5/15 South (over the Charter Oak Bridge). Shortly after you hit the main drag (aka: Berlin Turnpike) portion of 5/15 you see the old Hartford Drive In on your left. The Audio Store is about 1/2 - 3/4 miles further down on your right in a small strip mall.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
I forgot to mention that I believe there is also an Ensemble store in Arlington, MA. which is just north of Boston.

cheers,

--tom

Jedd

Second Unit
The best price I could get for Ref's was in the spearitsound, but it wasnt good enough, so I hit the road. ;)

Andy F

Stunt Coordinator
Can't beat New England HiFi in scarborough, ME. They have been around a long time, offer great prices and are by far the best in Maine. I've purchased nearly everything I own from them.

Peka J

Agent
The Ensemble store on Mass. Ave. in Arlington is out of business. I too have been listening to speaker systems around NE, and I have found that the best Paradigm dealer is Stereo Discount Center on Angell Street in Providence. They have a large selection of equipment, including the full Paradigm line, and are very cool about letting you listen to whatever you want and for as long as you want with no pressure and no attitude. The guy at Q Audio in Cambridge was also cool, but they had very few speakers that you could listen to.

Barry BB

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not surprised that Ensemble in Arlington is out of business. When I walked in there the guys acted like they were doing me a favor to wait on me.

Q Audio's store is very small so they are limited. It was not a problem for me because they had mini monitors and Studio 20's set up and those were the two speakers that were on my audition list. But thanks for the tip about Stereo Discount Center. If I decide to upgrade to Studio 40's I'll check them out.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Oops! Oh well, mark that store off the list. I had personally never been there (Ensemble in Arlington that is). I'm not an audiophile but my impression of specialty stores, whether audio or anything, is that many people who work there don't work there to help customers, they work there because it allows them to get paid to play with their hobby all day. :)
--tom

Andy F

Stunt Coordinator
if that's your impression you should definitely drive up to maine. That is anything but the case at New England hifi. Do a search here for their name and you should find a recent thread where people were talking about them. Several people called them the best they had ever seen. I know the guy in charge there, his name is Andy too, and he's great. It would be worth the trip.

p.s. coming from maine and NE HiFi when i moved to mass for school i got the same impression from many dealers here. Especially the guy in the "garage" in harvard square, he sucks.

Ed Haze

Agent
Andy, are you refering to the guy at Audio Lab(I think that is the name)? I was in Beantown last weekend to audition some PSBs, and the guy at the mentioned store was a complete prick. He seemed annoyed we were there, and tried to push some Monitor Audios on us. Not only did he only have the Image 2Bs, but said the rest of the line sounded exactly the same except they go lower. Pretty ignorant statement considering they have different enclosures and additional drivers as you move up the line. Creative sound in South Burlington(VT) is a nice place, but their Studio line is not very well represented. I currently have their set of Studio 60s in my living room, but am curious about the 40s(they do not stock the 40s). Anyway, if you're in VT check them out. Really nice and knowledgeable about the product.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks