What's new

Paradigm + Acurus. A good match? (1 Viewer)

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
In my quest to find an amplifier to power my Paradigm studio 60's and Studio CC I am considering the Acurus A200X3. Knowing that my Paradigms are a little on the bright side I am looking for an amplifier that is capable of
"warming" up the sound a little. I am specifically interested in hearing opinions from paradigm owners using an amplifier.
What other 3 channel Amps should I also consider in this approximate price range?
As always I appreciate and value your opinions.
Thanks,
Greggor

Scott H

Supporting Actor
While I've not heard this mating, as an Acurus owner I would never classify Acurus amps as warm. Acurate to dry, which is not a bad thing, and very revealing of other components in my opinion. Now, I am also a bit interested in Paradigm speakers but do not expect them to be bright, so go figure. Why do you think your Paradigms are a little on the bright side?
------------------
My DVD Library
Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
Scott,
Maybe bright wasn't the best way to describe my Paradigms. To most people bright would imply a harsh sound in the upper frequency range. My Paradigms definately don't sound harsh. They do however sound very forward. I would classify them as sounding accurate with crisp highs. I am simply trying to find an amplifier that will open up the lower midrange and add more punch to the bass. Because I think the paradigms already have excellent treble an amp that would be considered bright may have an adverse effect on the Paradigms sound.
Thanks for the reply,
Greggor
[Edited last by greggor on November 11, 2001 at 05:51 AM]

Mike_T_

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking for an amp too. I have the Studio 100's. Parasound and Marantz are two amp's which match well with paradigms (so I've heard)...I'm still looking.

Michael Yung

Stunt Coordinator
If you are looking to "warm up" the sound a bit I don't think the Acurus amp is a good choice for you. I have the Acurus A125x5 amp powering my Studio 40's, CC and ADP's. Right now I am using a H/K AVR 310 as a preamp and my DVD player for both movies and music. My interconnects are Kimber Kable PBJ and speaker wires are Monster MCX biwire for the 40's and CC and then regular Monster cable for the surrounds.
I have listen to this setup for a little over 2 weeks now and I leave the system on most days and nights to break in the amp. I would characterize my system's sound as forward in the HF, neutral to a touch cool in the mid range and with fairly well controlled and extended bass. When listening to CDs in stereo mode, the sound is fast and accurate with a well defined sound stage. Very revealing of every detail in the CD.
So far I am pretty happy with my system but more listening is required. My friend has a B&K ST2140 amp and I think this has the "warmer" sound you're looking for. They also have a 3 channel version so check it out. Good luck with making your decision. Hope this helps.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
Thanks for the replies,
"I have listen to this setup for a little over 2 weeks now and I leave the system on most days and nights to break in the amp. I would characterize my system's sound as forward in the HF, neutral to a touch cool in the mid range and with fairly well controlled and extended bass. When listening to CDs in stereo mode, the sound is fast and accurate with a well defined sound stage. Very revealing of every detail in the CD".
Michael,
Would you characterize the sound using the Acurus as an improvement, and are you pleased with the way your current set-up sounds using the Acurus?
Thanks,
Greggor
[Edited last by greggor on November 11, 2001 at 05:55 AM]

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
Could someone recommend specific model numbers for the Parasound 3 channel amp and the B&K 3 channel amp. I want atleast 150 watts per channel.
Thanks,
Greggor

Michael Yung

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Greggor,
Unfortunately I have only auditioned two other receivers in my home setup and never another amp. So comparing to these receivers, Integra 5.1 and Marantz 7200, the Acurus is a big improvement. The Integra 5.1 was simply out-classed here with just 65 watts per channel. While the Marantz 7200, IMHO a very good sounding receiver, did not have the same dynamic range and slam as the Acurus A125x5. I also feel the mid range of the Marantz was slightly colored and not as natural sounding.
I did compare the Acurus to my friend's B&K ST2140 at his home but he does not have Paradigm Reference speakers. He has Sonus Faber Concertino speakers. The two amps were very different sounding. The B&K was warm and layback while the Acurus was neutral and fast. I prefer the sound of the Acurus over the B&K but your preference may be different. B&K also makes another 3 channel amp if you are not interested in the ST3140 since it only has 140 watts. The B&K Reference 3220 might interest you. It has 220 watts for 3 channels.
To tame the HF I am thinking about purchasing the Ah! LS Noise Killer from Upscale Audio. At $50 a pair, it seems like a reasonable tweak but I will hold off until I get the Outlaw 950 preamp. Which I hope will come out soon.

Purnam

Auditioning
Well....I have the Acurus 200x5 matched with my paradigm 100's, centre, and rears. I originally had a AVR3801 (105x7) --- it sounded good but I wanted extra ummmph.
After putting in place the Acurus amp, the difference was astonishing. Really great midrange and bass. Sounded like a completely different set of speakers. I would say the match was a 10 out of 10. The 100's are pretty power hungry and the Acurus seem to handle it just fine.
The A200x3 is the same amp, just three channels only.
Got for it, you won't regret it.
regards,
Purnam

Craig Ball

Second Unit
I also have the Acurus 200x3 and I'm using mine with Klipsch legend series speaks, as you know lots of people consider Klipsch speaks to be harsh, bright, ect.. I never thought mine wer bright and now love them that much more since adding the Acurus.
Craig

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
Purnam,
Thanks for posting. You gave me just the answer I was looking for. I have been trying to locate a dealer in my area which carries Acurus so I can get a demo, but no joy!
Greggor

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
You should know that Klipsch, which owns Mondial (which in turn manufactures Acurus and Aragon) is phasing out Acurus products. That's why their amps are showing up on Ubid and Ebay. You should be able to get a great deal on a great amp.
Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks