Panasonic TC-15LT1 16:9 screen

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Bradstreet, Aug 14, 2001.

1. Bill Bradstreet

Bill Bradstreet Stunt Coordinator

I feel weird posting about a 15" screen in a Home Theatre forum, but this really does apply. Any advice would be very helpful. I've done a few searches on the web, but haven't found any answers yet. TIA
    My wife is legally blind, but still loves to watch movies. She known as a nose-reader, and sits up close to the TV. As you can imagine, this can get uncomfortable after extended periods of time... also it really isn't that romantic. ;-)
    I think I know what I want to do about it. I've thought about a larger TV, would be a great excuse to get a nice, new RPTV, but that just wouldn't help her that much (I think).
    I think she'd be happier with a small screen that she could stick in front of her. Then she could sit on the couch next to me for a change. I'd still have the big screen in the distance.
    So, lengthy intro for the TC-15LT1. It seems like a good solution, but I can't find anywhere on the web that tells me if it would work in a home implementation. The Panasonic web site seems to list it as a car audio/video component. Does anyone know if this unit can be plugged into a house power outlet or if I would need to find some type of conversion for it?
    Thanks!
    Bill
    PS - her site is 20-600

2. John Giddens

John Giddens Stunt Coordinator

3. Bill Bradstreet

Wouldn't work for her. She doesn't have the acuity for something that small. Even this 15" screen might not work for her. I would love to find a solution for her and surprise her, but I have a feeling she's going to have to test drive whatever ideas come.
    Thanks though. I'd love to get one of those for on the plane. :) I can only imagine the looks other passengers would give me.

4. Tom Johnson

Tom Johnson Stunt Coordinator

Here is some information on the unit you are discussing from Panasonic. I'm not sure what lead you to believe that this was a car unit. There are 7" displays for car applications, but this is a home unit. It also comes in a version with a built in DVD player. Discussing that one may prevent a move to the television forum.
    http://www.prodcat.panasonic.com/sho...delNo=TC-15LT1

5. Bill Bradstreet

According to the Panasonic web site this IS a car video monitor. Here's where I found the unit...note this is the car audio section of their web site. I originally was doing a search for car video equipment when I found this and never thought that they would put the same product for both applications.
    http://www.prodcat.panasonic.com/sho...ategoryid=1797
    So, I guess it wasn't a mistake on my part considering the link above. Based on the poor amount of information Panasonic provides about its products there was nothing leading me to believe this is really a non-car application. That was why I posted this out here...to see if anyone knew more than what Panasonic was providing on their web site.
    Regards,
    Bill

6. Tom Johnson

Tom Johnson Stunt Coordinator

Bill, I forgot that car audio reps were also selling this product. You should look at the Television section to get to the link I provided. The unit is double listed in the car audio section because some specialty installers are buying this unit and installing it in custom vans. It is not AC/DC.

7. Bill Bradstreet

So it sounds like this is primarily a home unit that people are finding ways of installing in a car. That's what I was hoping to hear... thanks.
    Now to find out if the 15" size is a good one for my wife. It might still be too big for her to capture the whole image without having to scan the screen. I might find that the 7" size is even better.
    Thanks,
    Bill