What's new

Panasonic RP82 ... how much of an improvement over RP56? (1 Viewer)

chris larralde

Stunt Coordinator
I'm using this for a front projection system, so any improvements will most likely by magnified on my system.

Can anyone tell me about the improvement in picture quality over my current player, the RP56?

I've heard that the flicker bug has been fixed ... but what the heck is the flicker bug?!

Gregg Z

Stunt Coordinator
The flicker bug occurs in those players with the Sage/Faroujda DCDi chipset where the CCS (cross color suppression?) setting is set incorrectly. The RP56 is one such player. Basically, if you know material that demonstrates the chroma bug, watch that same material on the RP56. It will not streak out (chroma bug) but it will faintly pulse/strobe/flicker. On the new Panasonic RP62, CP72 and RP82, this CCS setting is set correctly.

As far as picture quality, it is my understanding that Panasonic has two different MPEG decoder chipsets; a 'good' and a 'better'. Supposedly the RP56 and RP62 have the 'good' MPEG decoder and the RP82 and the RP91 have the 'better' MPEG decoder.

I dont know if I would spend the money to go from the RP56 to the RP82 strictly for the picture improvement. But if you're interested in DVD-A or getting a 5-disc changer then its pretty easy to justify upgrading to the RP82 or CP72 (the CP72 is the 5-disc changer version of the RP82).

chris larralde

Stunt Coordinator
My Toshiba 5109 finally broke, so I'm moving the 56 from my front projector system to my rear projection system. I'll rotate the 82 back into the front projection slot.

Thanks for the info ... I'm heading out the door to pick one up!

Neil Weinstock

Stunt Coordinator
I should know this by now, but...

Do the new Panny players without the "flicker bug" simply have CCS turned off, or is there something else going on?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks