What's new

Panasonic plasma monitor (1 Viewer)

Robert Shepherd

Auditioning
I am considering the purchase of a 42" Panasonic plasma monitor from Tweeter (model PT-42-PD3-P). Has anyone had experience with this product? (Tweeter list price is $4999)

I have a large collection (almost 1000 movies) of laser discs and dvds. Viewing these movies is my primary concern. Since this product is a monitor I would have to use a vcr as a receiver for broadcast or cable signals.

Room shape and size dictates the screen will be about 8 feet from viewers. For some years I have used a 36" Mitsubishi with which I have been very pleased.

James Stierman

Stunt Coordinator
Its a very nice unit, that is the old model though that can only diplay 480p. It will donconvert any HD signal to this. The new PD4 model is a true HD plasma.

Corey Holter

Agent
Robert,
I have the Panasonic 42" plasma and love it! Mine is not "true" HD, but you cannot tell the difference between mine and the newer HD model at 6' and beyond. At 4-5', some people can see the pixel structure on the "old" Panasonic 42". It's never bothered me. I might have purchased the newer HD plasma, but it costs considerably more than the previous model.
I purchased my plasma from an Internet dealer. You will find several Internet sellers that sell the old Panasonic for under $4,000.
If you've been to the AVSforum, you'll notice that the Panasonic 42" is generally considered to be the best of the 42" plasmas.
If you're interested, here's a link to my setup:
http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...papass=&sort=1

Robert Shepherd

Auditioning
Thank you Corey. It is helpful to hear from someone who is using the unit. I just spent two hours with the salesman at Tweeter trying out DVD's, tapes, etc. Wish I could see some of my laser discs on the unit before I decide.

The limited input connections are a problem for me although not completely insurmountable. My Pioneer DVL-700 does not have composit connections.

Are you using your Panasonic VCR as a tuner for cable or broadcast?

Corey Holter

Agent
I'm not using the VCR as a tuner for cable - I use a cable box (connected to display via composite).

You're right about the inputs - it's one of the weaknesses of the Panasonic. I use my receiver for all AV switching (including component).

If you don't want to purchase a new receiver, there are a couple companies that make a component switcher, for under $200. I know key digital makes one. Can't remember the other brand.

I really like the Panny plasma and it was the right decision for me!

Good luck.

KeithR

Second Unit
The Panny plasma scaling down HDTV to 480p will be more impressive than 1080i on a Pio Elite rptv. Weird, but true.

Robert Shepherd

Auditioning
Corey,

I have heard rumors that cable signals do not reproduce well on plasma display. I assume since you are using your cable box for a tuner that you have not found that to be the case.

Since I have very basic cable, I do not have a cable box but just connect to the line from the street directly to the tv. I would need to use my JVC SVHS VCR as a tuner to receive the cable.

Corey Holter

Agent
I have been pleasantly surprised by how good the cable looks. I was prepared for poor picture quality. However, basic cable looks pretty good and digital cable looks very good.

I think it varies depending on what system you have and where you live. A case of "garbage in, garbage out". I'm fortunate that my cable signal is pretty clean.

I looked at key digital and I was wrong as the price is closer to $400 - but I know I've seen component switching devices for less. Do a search on AVSforum for component switching.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks