What's new
World Wide Stereo

Panasonic DVD recorder questions (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Will I be able to make digital copies of an edited DVD-RAM onto DVD-R via the RP-91 onto a DMR-E60
Jim, since the RP-91 has no digital video output, there is no way to use it as a source component for digitally copying DVD-RAM discs. You would have to make copies via the analog video output.

My decision boils down to choosing between the firewire digital input of the E60 (for a future digital camcorder upgrade) vs. the additional editing capabilities of the E80 with its internal hard drive. Why wouldn't Panasonic include a firewire input with their top-of-the-line DVD recorder?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jim Garbern

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Scott,
I realized after posting the RP-91 only has digital audio out not digital video :angry:. Thanks for elaborating. I too wondered why the E80 doesn't have Firewire in. But then I also don't know why they took the Faroudja chip out of their DVD players.
Jim

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
I found the following links:http://www.spytown.com/padmdvdvirew1.html ,
http://www.matsushita.jp/corp/news/o...n030205-7.html ,
http://w10.pcworld.com/resource/prin...,109229,00.asp

Both of these talk of an E90H/S which appears to have DV input. One says it is a 80G drive while the other says it's 120. It's not on the panasonic site as a current model though. Hopefully soon, I'm guessing it will be around $1k, since the 80H goes for $699 (onsale $629 at onecall now!). Figure paying that extra for bigger HD and the DV upgrades.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Phil,

Thank you for those links. At least that answers the question as to why Panasonic left a firewire input off the E80. Unfortunately, I cannot justify the extra expense of the rumored E90 if it comes in at around $1k. The E80 is at the absolute upper limit of what I'm willing to spend on a DVD recorder.

Has anyone out there compared the video quality between a digital firewire and analog connections for digital camcorder dubbing ?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Due to the database problem which resulted in some lost replies, I'll repost my last question:

My Hi8mm camcorder has a 16x9 mode which I have never used. If I record in this mode, will the Panasonic DVD recorders allow me to flag the material as 16x9 anamorphic? This would allow me to use any standard DVD player's ability to deal with both 16x9 and 4x3 displays. I never used this mode in the past due to concerns with compatibility between the tape format and standard 4x3 displays.

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
I think the E90 is going to be available only in Japan with a 120 GB hard drive. I believe the E100 coming out in October will be the fully loaded unit, albeit with an 80 GB hard drive.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I decided to order the Panny DMR-E80S. In the end, the hard drive feature sounded more useful than the firewire input, and I did not want to spend more than the E80's cost. I paid $593, including shipping, through OneCall. Now, I just need to wait until they get the units in stock.

What blank DVD-R and DVD-RAM works well, and where can the best prices be found for this media?

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
Scott, how did you get that price? I just see it on sale for 10% off the $699 list price. Did they give you an estimate when it would come in?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Scott, how did you get that price?
Phil, in order to get the $593 price, you need to sign up for OneCall's Pass membership (it's free). Then, use the membership coupon code SCS30 for $30 off any order of $601 - $1,000. Finally, as a OneCall Pass member, you get an additional 1% off all purchases. So, $629.10 - $30.00 - $5.99 = $593.11.

From my past experience with OneCall, you may be able to get the same price by simply calling them -- it depends on the item. Since I ordered this item online, I did not get an estimated delivery date. This is the first order I've actually placed via their website. I have placed all previous orders via their toll free phone number.

The coupon code is good through the end up June.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Scott, thanks for the tips. I spoke to OneCall today, and they're expecting a shipment of 50 units in the second week of July -- and all of them are pre-ordered. They expect a follow-up shipment later in July.

M.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
What blank DVD-R and DVD-RAM works well, and where can the best prices be found for this media?
A related question. When I look at listings for DVD-R discs, they are variously described as "4X", "1X" and "2X" (and probably several other variations). Do these designations have any relevance to standalone players like the Panasonic models being discussed here? And if so, what?

M.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Michael,

Thanks for the information regarding shipping dates from OneCall. I have not had the time to call them yet, so that info was helpful.

I too would like to know if the 4x, 2x, etc. designations on DVD-R media are relavent to standalone players, or only to PC drives. I ordered a package of 15 TDK DVD-R's from Circuit City for $40, so hopefully these are a decent brand.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
After a little more research, it appears that the "X" designations refer to the data recording speed that the medium supports. I believe this is only relevant for professional DVD burners and computer drives. The standalone recorders (the Panasonics, at any rate) appear to operate at 1X.

I would appreciate being corrected if I'm wrong.

M.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Michael, you are correct. 1x, 2x, 4x are computer-based recording speed compatibility.

You can use 2x and 4x media on 1x recorders and standalones. However, considering the higher price of 2x and 4x, don't bother buying them. Even for computer-based system is not cost effective. I always use 1x media since the 2x, at least in Canada, doubles the price of 1x medias.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
As David has stated current consumer DVD recorders only record in real time (1X) only computer drives (burners) can ultilize multi-speed DVD media.

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
Makes sense since they are only recording "live feeds" from tv,cable,video input. I was wondering if the E80 or HS2 can restore faster when recording to disc from their hard drive? Theoretically, that should be possible.

David Susilo

Screenwriter
it's possible only if the internal drive used by Panasonic is a 2x or faster, and the firmware and/or software supports it.

I've seen other manufacturers use faster drives in their standalone CD recorder but limit their firmware and/or software to 4x.

Phil Tomaskovic

Supporting Actor
Has anyone taken a dvd-ram disc and read it on their PC. And then use Easy CD 6 dvd copy program to copy the RAM disc to a +R (or -R for that matter)? Not sure if their copy program would understand a RAM disc format and convert (?) it to a +/- R?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Just to follow-up, I cancelled my order for the DMR-E80 with OneCall. Instead, I decided to purchase a Sony MiniDV digital camcorder for improved video quality over our current Hi8mm camcorder. We will be vacationing in Yellowstone National Park later this summer, and I decided to opt for the better video source for now. Since I now will have a digital camcorder, the lack of a firewire input on the E80 becomes an issue.

I will wait until an affordable DVD recorder with a hard drive and firewire input hits the market. Hopefully Panasonic's E90 or E100 coming this fall will meet my needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks