marty4089

Auditioning
Real Name
Marty
I currently have the set up of the following:

1. Panasonic TH-C42FD18, Panasonic TH-C42FD18 Support and Service Information

2. Playstation 3

3. Yamaha YHT-391 - YHT-391

Knowing the I my receiver doesn't process HDMI audio, I have the PS3 hooked up directly to the TV through HDMI and the PS3 also hooked up to the receiver through an optical cable. Will I lose any sound quality or anything with the sound if I run the optical from the TV to the receiver.

I live with my girlfriend and she likes to play the stereo while getting ready and i'm playing a video game. So to not have to change the audio on the PS3 from HDMI to optical.

Thanks

728x90

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
If you just want stereo sound from it, that may work fine. The optical outputs on tvs, is for getting surround sound when using the built-in tuner and external antenna, for local stations in HD. The few tvs that will pass the audio, the way you're talking about, will downmix the surround signal to a 2.0 signal. So, you won't get surround that way, except Pro Logic simulated surround.

I guess too, that you already know it's not possible to get the HD audio from blu ray movies, from a PS3, using anything other than HDMI? All you'll get is regular Dolby Digital and DTS, which isn't bad..........it's just not as good as the HD audio soundtracks.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

marty4089

Auditioning
Real Name
Marty
Thank you for the feedback. yea i've learned what my system can and cannot do with the help from on everyone on the forum so thank you everyone. This is my first Home Theater and i think I have maxed out what i can do on it. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks