What's new

Panasonic AE-100 - Good or Bad?, Why so many returns? (1 Viewer)

Toby Flanigan

Auditioning
I have been researching projectors for about 1 week, and have came across dozens of posts about how great the Panasonic AE100 projector is, especially for the under $2000 price. But, why do I also read about so many people having to return them?

The number of returns scares me, as I am considering buying this projector. I have found multiple projectors for sale used. Should I really be afraid to buy one of these used with only about 200-300 hours on the bulb? They generally seem to be $400-$500 less when used.

I appreciate everyones comments.

--Toby

James Zos

Supporting Actor
Supposedly (although I'm not sure if this was ever confirmed) the AE-100, which I am also looking into, went through a bad power supply period. Panasonic supposedly switched the power supply and fixed the problem. Don't know if this is true or not. I think there are an awful lot of AE-100 owners on the AVS forum, so you might try asking your question there.

TimG

Second Unit
A lot of people were also ceiling mounting them with screws that were too long. The mounting holes went straight into the guts of the projector and the long screws were shorting out stuff inside.

TimG

David Hicks

Stunt Coordinator
I've got one and am very happy with it (especially for $1500!). Would I rather have a $3K-$5K model? Certainly! However, for the price, it's a great way to get into the front projection hobby.

I also was unfortunate enough to get one of the earlier bad models. It died with about 40 hours on it. But the dealer I bought from in Japan was great about swapping it out for me and my new one is currently at 180 hours. The round trip shipping for the swap cost me around $160, which brought my total for the pj to $1550.

The only issue my current one has is one dead/stuck blue-ish purple pixel. It just showed up at around 165 hours. Rumor has it, they sometimes go away on their own. But, it's not really that bothersome to me. If I get one year out of this projector and then sell it for half of what I paid, I'll be happy. I will definately upgrade, but, in the meantime, I couldn't be happier with my AE100! If any of you are in the Atlanta area and would like a demo, I'd be happy to have you.

Good luck on your purchase!

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
I have about 350 hours on my projector now and it still is humming along.
Now in the words of some of the guys at AVS ... "But I am also a praying man." :D
Regards

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Hard to say about reliability. I have seen the PJ in person and its awesome for the money though. I'm saving up for one myself :)

Toby Flanigan

Auditioning
Thanks for the comments. I'm still unsure because in researching different projectors, the panasonic is the one with the most positive comments, but yet the one with the most problems (stuck pixels).

Anyone have opinions on the Mitsubishi projectors? What about model SL1u? I see Remanufactured units and used units for 1200-1400?

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Not sure about that one. What are the specs? Resolution? Contrast and lumens?

James Zos

Supporting Actor
The Japanese company (pricejapan.com - I think) that will ship the AE100 to you at a substantial savings now has a zero stuck pixel policy - if you get a projector with stuck pixels, they will replace it.

Mark Amayao

Stunt Coordinator
How good is this projector on a 90 inch or less screen? .....

How long was the whole process of swapping out the unit when you did encounter a problem? .....

Screendoor ... how much of an issue would it be on a 90 inch or less screen?
(room can be pitch black)

how long does it take for the projector to get here?

how are the blacks in this projector? ......

and DOES ANYONE IN PORTLAND HAVE A AE-100 AND WOULD ANYONE MIND A 15 MINUTE DEMO? Thanks all!

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I'd wait a month or two now. AE200 and AE300's on the way. If you still like the AE100 then it'll only be cheaper :) Either as prices drop, or Ae100 owners upgrade :cool:
Check my other thread for links :)

Dave_Olds

Stunt Coordinator
the AE200 is about the same PJ and AE300 is substantially more - so I dont see a real reason for anyone to wait. At least not a "gain in technology" for the $1500 budget....

As for the questions:

1 & 3. Very good on a 90" screen. Mine is 98" diagonal and screen door is not an issue. You must sit 1.5x to 2.0 screen widths away from the screen. But from there, a slight defocus and it wont be an issue. The colors are fabulous...

2. Eight days from departure to arrival

4. Ordered Tuesday, got it Friday

5. Not as bad as stated. Not true black, certainly not "gray black" - its all relative and its decent. The shadow detail might be more of issue, IMO....No one in the family or friends has stated an issue with the black level. As an entry level PJ its fine - if you have a buddy with a CRT and are used to that - then you might never be happy with a AE100....

Disclaimer: This projector is loaded with limitations. You have to be a "tweaker" by nature to get the most out of it. If you refuse to use a HTPC or transcoder - then forget about it, you will never be satisified with the picture. It is what it is - an inexpensive way to get into front projection - it is NOT projector nirvana.

On the flipside - XBOX with the AE100 is just fabulous fun....If you can have fun and get wrapped up in all those other video "issues" an AE100 purchase will pay off your investment with spades to spare....

Dave_Olds

Stunt Coordinator
But the price of ae100 might drop before it disappears with the ae200 replacing it.
I agree and it also appears the AE200 will be US based at AE100 pricing - so in a sense, yeah, thats a better value....But the let down from initial reports are tempering enthusiasm. There was some initial reports the AE200 would be a big leap, but it really is redressed AE100.....So, any AE100 observations should carry over similarily to the AE200....

AE300 on the other hand is quite an upgrade in technology and likely worth the extra coin....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks