What's new

Painting in Home Theater/Family Room (1 Viewer)

Would white paint tend to reflect the sound more especially in a dipole setting vs. a darker color? I don't know if is the room or the receiver, but last month we went from white walls to a golden color in the family room (not my choice, my wife's, but as long as I painted what she wanted I get an RPTV for Christmas this year) and I noticed the sound from my dipole surrounds seemed subdued. I didn't notice right away as I had been traveling a bit, but I popped Avia in over the weekend and did the test tones with the Radio Shack SPL meter, and what do you know, I had to boost the surrounds up by 4dbs. Coincidence, or not??
Thanks,
Eric

Brett Robert

Agent
I think when you put the stuff back against the walls you put it in diffrent spots. Or your conections are better or worse now. It could be a lot of things, But the color isn't one of them
------------------
~~~~~~~Brett~~~~~~~~~
Champagne tastes with a beer budget
My HT

John Williams

Auditioning
Color isn't it...but perhaps it is paint related.
Did you go from semi-gloss to matte walls? I *suppose* that could make a difference in the overall character of the sound.
Otherwise, it must be an equipment issue.
-John

SteveMc

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe the sound waves are avoiding that new gold color on the walls :) Sorry, but I just keep picturing the gold color shag carpeting back in the 60's (it's not that color is it
puke.gif
).
If you didn't put all the furniture back in the same spots that could account for some of it, but unless you dramatically changed the layout of your room...I guess i can't see how minor changes would account for a 4dB loss. Ya have me stumped
confused.gif

------------------
Crash
"Even if you were right, that would be one plus one plus two plus one, not one plus TWO plus one plus one..."
Help us get the Friday the 13th films-UNCUT. Click Here or here

Well, the white paint was a semi-gloss, and the new paint which was rag rolled with an offwhite was eggshell, so maybe, maybe that might do something with the reflection of the dipoles. I know it cant be anything related to what was put back on the walls, we used the same nail holes. The dipoles are mounted on the wall, so possibly it has something to do with the those connections when I put them back up. I will have to check on that.
Steve-
I won't relay your funny comment to my wife, she will scoff at that. But that is funny!
laugh.gif
No, wasn't that shag color more of a burnt orange? In my wee years, I can vaguely remember my parents having that burnt orange shag carpeting in the house that I grew up in. UGgh, that was awful!
puke.gif
Anyway, this color is more of a deep gold, more honey colored, and blends well with the honey stained woodwork in our house. Hey as long as the wife is happy and I 'earn' my RPTV, I am happy.

Tom Rosback

Stunt Coordinator
Eric:
3 dB is double the power. So 4 dB is a big change. Pigs would have to fly before paint would make that much of a difference! Probably a connection problem. Good luck figuring it out.
------------------

Robert Ma

Second Unit
I also have recently repainted my Theater room. I also went from semi-gloss to eggshell. The color change was from off-white to brush metal grey.
I have noticed no difference in audio levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks