What's new

Paintball Anyone? (1 Viewer)

Cam S

Screenwriter
haha, on Monday, September 23rd, I got to the airport at 11am, and it was -3 degrees!!!! when I got home at 10PM in Kelowna, it was +18 degrees!!!! I love Kelowna, haha.

Caleb Penner

Agent
I'm another casual paintball fan. I go just a few times a year. I always rent, although I have my own mask.

Does it hurt?
Depends on what you consider painful. Getting hit on, say the back, hurts about as much as bashing your knuckles hard. As in: it hurts for a few second, and then will be a little tender for a few days. If you have a low pain tolerance, than it will hurt a lot.

My worst hit-- Once I went with some friends, and I was out of paint with no money to get more. I didn't want to quit, so I played speedball* with no gun! We were playing a flag game, so when the game started I ran to the flag in the middle and grabbed it. I was about 3 feet away from winning the game, when I got shot in the left testicle from about one foot away. That hurt a lot right away, but the pain soon dulled, and it was sore for a few days. I was wearing jeans.
Now my friends and I incorporate a whole bunch of gunless games. We'll give one guy a gun and 10 rounds of ammo, and then five other guys have to tag him with their hands.

I don't recommend bundling up to avoid pain. Paintball is a physical activity, so you will heat up quickly when you run around. When you get too hot, your mask will fog up, and you can't see, which makes you an easy target.

For the first few times, play with other beginners. They aren't likely to shoot off 400 rounds in a game like the tournament players.

*Speedball- A game played on a smaller field with two teams. The field has only artificial cover like barrels or tires. The objective is usually to reach the other side or to simply destroy the other team.

Caleb

ikiru

Stunt Coordinator
I remember when speedball first came out. It was a california concept. I guess there wasnt enough cheap land in california to play traditional paintball. Anyway, speedball was great when all there were was pump action guns. These days with semi autos (yes some semis can fire 12-15 balls per second) every game of speedball is omaha beach.
Another thing I have noticed about paintball. No matter what they say the objective is, it always ends up elimination. I guess its easier to eliminate a team, then capture their flag :)
Paintball is at its best when you have smaller teams on bigger fields (more movement, possiblity for creeping around). These days, the trend is larger teams on smaller fields (lower property taxes, more paint used...see where this is beneficial for the field owners..$$$). Whats the point in playing a game with 50 people per side on a field as big as a basket ball court? Excuse me, but can I squeeze in with your 19 buddies behind this 2x4 plywood "bunker"?
Maybe I need to move to Canada...
-ikiru

Rob Tenniswood

Stunt Coordinator
Whoa! A post on paintball! Shweet.

I've been playing paintball for...oh, about 4 years now. I used to play competitively, with sponsors and all that - they'd pay for my paint and entry fees to any tournaments that my club played for. Those were the days - I practically lived at the damn field. Great stuff.

The best way to describe being shot by a paintball is like being flicked in the ear. It'll hurt some when it happens, but it'll just be a dull throb after a few seconds, and you won't even remember you'd been shot after a few minutes. If that your only hesitation, then go play! I'm a wimp, and I can take it! :)

Cam S

Screenwriter
The Paintball arena we have here in Kelowna is pretty dam small, and they usually put about 15 guys in there, and it get's pretty cramped. I wish it was bigger cuz I like the play the sneaky way, instead of just running around ducking paintballs.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Oh, how could I forget a time I went paint balling back in high school. Was the second or third time I'd ever gone. Indoor warehouse game, two 3 man teams. Anyways the only reason for bring it up was that the one member of my team was an exchange student from Switzerland (I think) named Sven (sp?). Thank god he was on my team. Appearantly over there instead of summer camp, they have a military camp. Needless to say we did quite well ;)

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
I've been working on getting a dozen or so guys for a series of small games on private property. None of them own equipment or has any real experience at the sport. One suggestion that we're looking at is having everyone purchase the same equipment so there will be no disparity in firepower. Does anyone have an opinion of the higher-priced sets you see in sporting goods stores (that include a mask and marker), like in the $100-150 range?

Thanks!

Cam S

Screenwriter
If I paintball say maybe 2-7+ times a year, would it save money to buy my own gear rather than renting from the Paintball place?? I've seen some guns, but they are like 400 bucks. Can you get cheaper guns, similiar to the rental guns??

Mark C Sherman

Second Unit
Look For The TIPPMAN 98 Custom I have one of these along with all of my friends. It is one of the most upgradeable MARKERS available. there are some place that have it with everthing you need for about 150.00- 179.00 that Includes the Marker,Ammo Chute, Ammo Holder,Mask, 9 OZ tank ETC ETC.
I got most of my other stuff at WAL-Mart Gloves(worth every penny) Elbow pads, Knee pads, and Ammo
http://store.yahoo.com/actionvillage...ball-guns.html
Good Luck and Happy Hunting

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
As Mark said, The Tippman 98 (friend has one) is a great marker. The one my friends and I all purchased is the ACI F4 Illustrator. The nice feature of this gun... all moving parts are sealed and it's so easy to field strip and clean. It also has a fair number of upgrades for it... not as much as a Tippman, but it's got the important things. I've upgaded mine pretty nicey and have seen imporvements in accuracy and range. You should be able to find package deals in your price range.
The most important thing to get the most out of your gun is to match the paint size with the barrel. Now, all paint fits in all barrels, but there are slight differences in the diameter of paint and barells from each manufacturer, so finding that perfect match takes some experimentation. My gun has a barrel generally on the bigger size, so I try to use bigger paint. Here are some charts... I think they might be a bit old, but you'll get the idea:
Link Removed
Link Removed
Mike D.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Paintball is a blast! I only played once in college but it was great! There was a huge group of us and we just played capture the flag, but it was in a forested area with a small stream and a small boarded up house. Hills and many trees for cover. The area was pretty small. There was one round where it was me and maybe 3 others left on my team. We hadn't seen anyone else from the other team in a long time so I decided to break cover and start toward their flag. The other teammates provided cover and we worked our way to the other side of the area. There was a small incline, then some flat area at the bottom of the hill then a tree with the flag hanging. I hit the ground and looked around and listened. I didn't see anyone. So I stood up and started to slowly go up the hill. Still noone. So then I decide to keep going. I'm about to hit the top of the hill and 3 guys pop up in front of me and hit me twice in the chest. I actually jumped backwards and turned my head. In the air a 3rd shot hit me in the ear! That one hurt like you wouldn't believe. I hit the ground on my back and yelled out that I'm dead...way too much fun!
I had some really good head kills too (I know, I know, but when they are laying prone its kind of hard not to hit them in the head). One kill was a one shot kill right in the guys face mask. Another one was half on the helmet and half on skin...that one left a big welt on the guy :)
Oh its too much fun. Just don't get your gun or the balls wet...that sucks.

Rob Tenniswood

Stunt Coordinator
The Tippmann Model 98 is a good gun, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's one of the most upgradeable guns ever. I mean, for starters, the Autococker, Automag and Angel are infinitely more upgradeable...they do, however, cost an ass-load more class - specially milled Angels can run $2500, as opposed to the $200 (tops) you'd pay for a 98. It's a cost vs. benefit thing - I wouldn't suggest that an amateur, 5-times a year player buy an Angel, but I also would never recommend that a tournament player use a 98 (with or without the R/T or electro-upgrades)...in those kinds of situations where prize money is dependent on a reliable gun, the only way to go is Electro.

That's the two cents of a paintball junkie.

-Rob

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
Thanks guys. After looking around a bit, and doing a lot of reading, I got the Tippmann 98 Custom. I also got the double trigger, 12v motorized hopper, expansion chamber, drop forward, Big Shot barrel, and rear velocity adjuster.

Mark C Sherman

Second Unit
Matt Great Marker you Got Congrats. If you are ever in the boston area let me Know We can "GO TO WAR"

Good luck and Happy Hunting

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks