What's new

Paintball Anyone? (1 Viewer)

Richard_T

Second Unit
Tried it a couple of times. Outdoor paintball. It was fun but damn do those things hurt when you get hit from in close. Can't say I'd run out and do it again anytime soon but. It was kind of cool I guess. A bit too expensive also.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Paintball looks like great fun. I didn't actually do it, but I went with a bunch of friends and was the picture taker. Looked like a ton of fun and I wish I had of done it. Next time though :D

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
I've been a couple times with the people I work with. Its a LOT of fun! I really enjoyed it and I advise any of you guys to try it.
I took some pics the last time I went. Check em out.
It does hurt to get hit from close up. I took this hit from a distance of 2.5 feet! I decided it was too hot so I took off my sweatshirt and played the rest of the day in just a T-shirt. I took some hits but it was worth it!
-Marshall

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
never played but I want a paintball gun to blast annoying cars that sit outside my apartment and honk at people at 2am, or blast their stereos right outside my window :D

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Used to be into it pretty big during my HS years playing very frequently. Around where I lived there were quite a few nice wooded areas, abandoned industrial buildings, and army facilities which made for some very good battles.

After tearing my ACL (playing basketball) I was sidelined for awhile, and then finally ended up selling all of my gear just because my group of friends I associated with the most did not play. As it is now, I have not played in about 2 years just because I can't find enough people to get a decent match going.

Hmm, that makes me think. Maybe we could get enough people together for a HTF paintball meet. Would anybody be interested in a meet in the PA,NJ,DE area? There are quite a few decent grounds around here to play.

J

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I wanna try it coz it looks really fun... But im afraid its gonna hurt like a bitch

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I was talked into a day of paintball by co-workers and friends back in 1994. Our group was just looking for fun, in the Southern California desert.

Not being a military type, I dressed in my customary all black. Bad move, in a lightly wooded area in the Southern California desert.

Surprisingly, I fared well in a battle simulating Beirut. I was pinned down in enemy territory, but "shot" an enemy soldier nonetheless, and had another one in trouble until my gun jammed.

What was disturbing was hearing the "regulars"—i.e., the committed paintballers—talk between battles.

Know what else scared me that Saturday afternoon? I experienced an honest-to-goodness heatstroke that required on-the-spot medical attention from Army medics. They had to pour water all over me, as if I were a beached whale.

As the world blanked out on me, I remember being curiously unafraid of possibly dying. It was all out of my hands. And the world quit on me for a few minutes, in the heat of the Southern California desert.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I think it's massive fun! Summer heat can be a bitch because you want as many clothing layers between you and the paintball as possible. They do hurt and on bare skin, they hurt ALOT. I always favored the wooded courses rather than the buildings. Buildings are pretty much staying in one spot and snipering but woods are much more interactive.

Bruce

Mark C Sherman

Second Unit
I love Playing as well. I friend of mine Lives In Lexington Ma. About a 1/4 mile behind his house is an old Junk yard further back a pine grove and further back an open feild and even further back an old hospital. We haven't gone in the Hospital yet but we will.

Now I might have heard Wrong But Some Police departments are Using Paintball guns as Crowd control. Instead of the Rubber Bullets of the past. Also the paint that they are Using has the Most Foul smelling stuff in them to make sure that as soon some one is hit they dont want to get hit again.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Hey Justin, if you ever get an HTF paintball tourney going on, it sounds fun. When I was growing up, we used to do the same kind of thing, except we used water guns and water balloons (think of grenades) the same. We used to just play in the woods between our houses.
I'm in northern NJ but might be able to give it a whirl. Is there any places that are large enough for a topo map to be handy or are most of them enclosed in a certain vincinity.
Maybe good orienteering skills could be a plus :)
Jay

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Chiming in --

Been several years since I played, but absolutely love it. However, I won't play in the late spring/summer -- too friggin' hot and too many bugs. Late fall and early spring are ideal times to play.

It IS expensive, too. And the hardcore gamers are a bit frightening!

Brandon_S

Second Unit
Ahh paintball,
I have been playing for about a year now. The worst wound I have received probably came last winter. I was playing with some friends on our farm in Kentucky during a cold (45 degree) day. Needless to say when it is cold the balls are basically frozen and hurt even worse! Anyway, on our farm we have a old house that was built in the mid-1800's. It is barely still standing and has two stories. The opposing team was holed up in the building and my team was trying to root them out. I knew there was a sniper in the upstairs window, so I requested cover fire to make a move on the house. Well my cover fire consisted of one shot into the window and I had to make a run of about 15 yards. I had almost made it to the next tree when I felt a sharp pain on the top of my forehead. I basically just collapsed. The ball had hit me right above the top of the mask and left a terrible blood blister. But boy was it damn fun! :D

ikiru

Stunt Coordinator
Love the game! I have been playing on and off since 89, but I have recently put it to the side. Because of the cost of all my hobbies, I had to choose between paintball, home theater, volleyball, and watergardening, which ones to drop. My knee kept me out of volleyball and between the rest, paintball was the one that I decided to drop.
Paintball isnt the same as it was back when I started. Before, the emphasis was more on movement and real estate. Now due to the technology (and partly due to marketing) the game is now about firepower. Guns now can fire 15+ balls per second and the only limitation is ammo (which is not really limiting considering there are now ways to carry over 5000 rounds into a single game). This is making the sport very expensive considering now the average it costs me now to play went from about $25 to now over $100 per outgoing.
Perhaps there will be times when I could get back out there, but for now, my money is better spent on my other hobbies. Besides, I have to save money for a new big screen...gotta have my priorities, my wife always tells me. :)
-ikiru

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Chalk me up as a paintball fan. My friends and I all purchased the equipment. We usually play on some land my father owns. It's perfect too. A wooded area divided by what use to be a railroad track connecting to a bridge. So there his a large hill that runs across the middle of our playing field.

We usually start playing in Oct. Summer is too hot to wear camo, and we usually golf on Sat. anyway. Looking forward to this year. I think we might start to build some forts or at least put up some obstacles for cover.

Mike D.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Paint ball is best in open/wooded areas (don't care for the buildings I've been able to play in), when you have one or two dozen players and everyone has a basic semi-automatic gun (basically none of what ikiru mentioned, that would suck).
Anyways, don't play that often but usually have a blast when I do. Second last time I played was great. About 20 guys, outside with wooded and junk town type setup. Best game I ever played. Over the course of 4 hours I managed to dispatch 18 people while only being shot once :) I also managed to shoot my brother square between the eyes through a 1' tall opening while he was in the second story of a 3 story tower. Didn't even know it was him until he walked by, as all I saw was a gun come out and managed a lucky shot.
Last time I played thoroughly sucked though. Got talked into going to a massive game that happens annually outside of Saskatoon. 300+ people. And since I had to rent (and their rentals sucked big time) there was a huge gap in equipment out there. Combine that with a complete lack of order between 150 strangers and the result was an aweful mess that was very little fun.
Not to mention some ass jumped on a wall and stuck his gun over it and just shot blindly at me. One of the rounds got me square on top of the thumb (that was against my gun so it had no where to go) from like 3'. Thumb didn't work so well for the next couple weeks.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Dustin, I was just in Saskatoon for 2 weeks (Sept 10-23) and I was hoping to get some action paintballing, but the girl I was staying with wasn't too interested, haha. I heard there were some good places to paintball, which ones are the best there?? BTW, Saskatoon was a great city!!!

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
You should have sent me an email before you came :p)

There are soo many. I'm not the one who organizes the outings so I don't know off hand. Haven't been able to go with the group the last few times. They've started going to a different place they really like. Don't know it's name off hand, but I could find out if you want. Good equipment, nice layout and you can play for an afternoon on ~$30 (depending on how quickly you go through ammo) renting all your equipment.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Dustin, I should have e-mailed ya, then I could have gotten to see some of your DIY work. I took a TON of pictures while I was there, and had a blast. I'll PM you the PBase addy of the pics from my trip. I can't say I like the cold weather, but everything else was great :)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Cold, we haven't even gone below freezing yet :p) Come back in Jan or Feb ;)
September certainly did cool off. Was a rather warm summer though for around here. Mid 20's to mid 30's just about the whole summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks